Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"Time Capsule" Oct 15 1969 National Moratorium Day Boston Ma.
Lens: Tamron 28mm Camera: Miranda Sensorex Photo Location: Boston Common 
Posted By: charliezap, 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM

It was National Moratorium Day and there were 100,000 people gathered on Boston Common to protest the Vietnam War.Senator George McGovern was the keynote speaker.Bill Clinton gave an address that day in England while he was a Rhodes scholar.There were similar demonstrations going on Nation wide that day and I think World wide in some countries.It was a gorgeous Fall day as I remember.Do any of you "old timers" remember this happening?That year I gave out Christmas Cards of this photo.The picture itself is a scanning of the card which I still have.The Peace sign in the background was why I took the shot with my Tamron 28mm WA.My brother and his friend were the willing participants in the picture.--charliezap

Attached Images

Views: 2,049
02-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Far out dude - a little before my time per say ... was a young lad then but too young to car much about the war and more worried about where my next set of Hot Wheels would come from. I did have a cousin (from Mass, Ipswitch in fact) who did two tours in
vietnam and came back fine thank god.
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot, nice sentiment!
02-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Far out dude - a little before my time per say ... was a young lad then but too young to car much about the war and more worried about where my next set of Hot Wheels would come from. I did have a cousin (from Mass, Ipswitch in fact) who did two tours in
vietnam and came back fine thank god.
I was 25 at the time Dave and that war was very divisive tosay the least.--charliezap

02-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I was 25 at the time Dave and that war was very divisive tosay the least.--charliezap
I hear ya as a Canadian conscription was not in play let alone my age, however to this day my cousin (whom I will admit I have not seen for decades, but we do email occasionally ), will not talk about it. I have seen the news footage, read many articles, and saw the popular movies , it was something I would not wish on my worst enemy.
02-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is one cool card Charlie. Those years were a mixture of the good, the bad and the ugly.
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, you keep bringing some terrific photos - good photography and good history. As soon a I saw this, I thought of the lyrics: "what a field day for the heat, a thousand people in the street . . . . . . . " Keep 'em coming, Capn.

Jer

02-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Nice shot, nice sentiment!
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I hear ya as a Canadian conscription was not in play let alone my age, however to this day my cousin (whom I will admit I have not seen for decades, but we do email occasionally ), will not talk about it. I have seen the news footage, read many articles, and saw the popular movies , it was something I would not wish on my worst enemy.
You would think that over the years that we would learn from the past.What does change? Only the players.--charliezap
02-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I was fortunate, they never called me......but I had friends that went and never came back. Not the best of times for sure. Very good and well though shot Charlie.
Regards
02-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My husband had gotten home from his first tour in Vietnam and we were keeping our fingers crossed about then that he wouldn't have to go back for a second tour. He didn't thank heavens.
Keep those memories coming Charlie.
02-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was fortunate, they never called me......but I had friends that went and never came back. Not the best of times for sure. Very good and well though shot Charlie.
Regards
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
My husband had gotten home from his first tour in Vietnam and we were keeping our fingers crossed about then that he wouldn't have to go back for a second tour. He didn't thank heavens.
Keep those memories coming Charlie.
When they had the drawings for the draft by birthdays in the late 60's my birthday Sept 14th was the first one pulled.Lucky for me I was married with child
at the time and didn't have to go.--charliezap
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Den
Veteran Member

Be nice if that appeared everywhere everyday! My favorite 1/2 decade (1965-1969) {Not including the war of course}
02-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
When they had the drawings for the draft by birthdays in the late 60's my birthday Sept 14th was the first one pulled.Lucky for me I was married with child
at the time and didn't have to go.--charliezap
Ray was married and we had a child (he was just a couple of months old at the time) but that didn't make much difference; he went anyway.
02-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Ray was married and we had a child (he was just a couple of months old at the time) but that didn't make much difference; he went anyway.
I think what saved me was I was a student at the time (GE apprentice course) and being a father and married.Too many went and sadly never came back.--charliezap
02-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting Charlie,

I must have been in the 11th grade about that time growing up in Sarnia Ontario. Sarnia is just across the river from Port Huron Michigan. I do recall the watching the draft lottery on TV and I’m pretty sure my birthday would have seen a draft notice eventually coming my way had I lived one mile further west. How different things might have been.

Tom G