Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Prairie Grass, Fence and Sky
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Foothills, Alberta, Canada ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Mr_Canuck, 02-23-2012, 03:46 PM

This was a fairly bland shot until I started doing some burning with the brush tool in Lightroom. Essentially painting it for emphasis and contrast. I think it has more interest now. I also think it would be a nice painting as you could create more of an impression than the photo offers, and really create a sense of direction. I think I did ok with it but if I took more time could have come up with something more dynamic or maybe more of a feeling of emptiness on the other hand. I was staring at the fence wondering where to start and end with the post on the left, whether to align it with the horizon as I did or have it cut into the sky. It's interesting to come back to a shot later and so easily what you might have done better. Lesson here: take some more time, or grab a tripod to allow you to ponder the framing a little more. But who has time when you're just stopping by the road on your way to somewhere?

Views: 747
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like this shot.. nicely minimal and there's something about it which just sucks me in. Great job with this!
02-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the Captain...my eye just follows the fence!
Whatever you did in PP, you did well. This would make a great
framed photo hanging on your wall, IMO! Tom
02-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the overall feel of the shot. It might be a little overprocessed for my tastes meaning the fence posts in the middle of the shot seem more plastic than real but it is a well conceived shot and very well executed.

02-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As captainbert stated, nicely done.
02-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Mr_Canuck

QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
I really like the overall feel of the shot. It might be a little overprocessed for my tastes meaning the fence posts in the middle of the shot seem more plastic than real but it is a well conceived shot and very well executed.
You are correct. I'm going to try pulling back on the selective burn I did on those. They are a bit overcooked. This is one photo I want to look natural.