Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
This finished pano is huge
Posted By: little laker, 01-05-2008, 12:12 AM

I just saw the finished product for the first time, and wanted to share it with you.

The local camera store and I wanted to try something a little different, so I got this panoramic printed on canvas and stretched on a frame.

It's hard to tell from this photo but the finished size is 80 1/4" wide, x 18" high.
And the picture wraps all the way around the edges, so we could have made it bigger if we wanted

It was quite an effort for the camera store to re-program their computer to be able to print anything that long.
They're 24" wide photo printer is now set up to print up to 22' long

I made up the hardwood stretcher frame myself, which is around double the size of any frame I'd made before.

And the framers had never worked with any picture that size either

It really took about 1 month for us to get this picture finished, but it'll take less time next time.

We all agree that it was worth the effort

It's on display at the local camera until tomorrow night, when I have to pack it up and bring it with me to Alberta.
It was sold before we could even start it.
Views: 3,093
01-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is quite a Pano, indeed ~ and you must be very proud of your efforts (I know that 'I' would be). It isn't hard at all to see why this piece of work sold as quickly as it did. I have never done a Pano before, but (now) wish to try my hand at it.

A super job.
01-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful and innovative!
Looks like an oil painting!
01-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's a beautiful end result for you Stu and a real achievement. You must feel very satisfied. It's also testimony to the quality a Pentax DSLR can deliver.

Paul

01-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

stunning! Simply Stunning.
01-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well done Stu - it would be nice to carry that in your portfolio (the picture of the pano of course the actual pano might be a little tough!) - One comment it would have been nice to see something recognizable like a face or hand to give a true appreciation of the size - You can get a feel from the ceiling tiles , but I think if two people were holding it , the size impact would be more effective.

Congrats again.
01-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot Stu and glad you seem to be selling more work. Hope the clocks are doing well also. Quite a bit of effort but well worth it. I think Dave makes a good point. Take a picture of this with a person at each end holding it to give a sense of the size and add it to your catalog. If this wasn't done exclusively for a customer, I bet you could sell more of this shot.
Nice work!

BTW. what lens do you find the most effective for these large panos?

01-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd love to see that up close, you could probably sell quite a few of those Do they leave you some raw canvas around the edges for stretching? and do you specify how much, like a 2" border? I'm curious because I used to paint and never tried a canvas print but it sounds like a cool idea to try
01-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

That is fantastic Stu. I have no doubt you could sell many more of those although they must be work intensive to put together. You should be very proud!
01-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Gorgeous Stu!

I'm now going to get a pano of our Rock River Valley and try the same thing and hopefully put a few thousand dollar price tag on it when it's all done. You're an inspiration my friend and we shall definitely see your name on the map as a big gold star!
01-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful photo Stu, and I think the canvas mounted makes it such a great image. I am pleased that it's sold already - good for you!

The largest pano I've ever done for a customer is a mere 12" high, 44" long print, which is small in comparison to yours!! As stated before, it's so much easier to sell an image with the print in front of someone.

Cheers,
Marc
01-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd like to thank everyone for their comments, and don't worry I'll post a better picture of it tonight.
Bill, the camera store owner offered to take it down for the picture, but since I have to load it up tonight I thought that we could wait until then.

QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
That is quite a Pano, indeed ~ and you must be very proud of your efforts (I know that 'I' would be). It isn't hard at all to see why this piece of work sold as quickly as it did. I have never done a Pano before, but (now) wish to try my hand at it.

A super job.
Thank you Nathan,
I'll warn you now. Once you start doing panoramic's it's easy to get addicted.
But you'll do fine, and love the results.

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
That's a beautiful end result for you Stu and a real achievement. You must feel very satisfied. It's also testimony to the quality a Pentax DSLR can deliver.

Paul
Thanks Paul,
As we all know, a Pentax camera sure can give stunning results.
Too bad that we have to prove it with the final product.
I'm accepted by everyone who's seen my work, but often ridiculed by Canon and Nikon shooters because of my gear. I can often teach them a fair amount in a mater of a few minutes, so it's often their loss

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Stu - it would be nice to carry that in your portfolio (the picture of the pano of course the actual pano might be a little tough!) - One comment it would have been nice to see something recognizable like a face or hand to give a true appreciation of the size - You can get a feel from the ceiling tiles , but I think if two people were holding it , the size impact would be more effective.

Congrats again.
Thanks Dave,
Your right, I will have to add a photo of it into my portfolio.

I'll get 2 or more people holding it later on today for that picture, plus a photo of it on Rob's wall as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great shot Stu and glad you seem to be selling more work. Hope the clocks are doing well also. Quite a bit of effort but well worth it. I think Dave makes a good point. Take a picture of this with a person at each end holding it to give a sense of the size and add it to your catalog. If this wasn't done exclusively for a customer, I bet you could sell more of this shot.
Nice work!

BTW. what lens do you find the most effective for these large panos?
Thanks Peter,

I have a clock order going to Alberta as well
I'm out of motors though, so production has stopped until I can get more.

I will be printing up at least one more of these pic's, but I have a potential sale for another lake first.

I pretty well only use my Vivitar 28mm f2.8 lens for my pano work now.
Which is another reason why I recommend it so much. I just wish that they still made that lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I'd love to see that up close, you could probably sell quite a few of those Do they leave you some raw canvas around the edges for stretching? and do you specify how much, like a 2" border? I'm curious because I used to paint and never tried a canvas print but it sounds like a cool idea to try
The canvas started off as a 24" x 7' long sheet. And as far as I know it hasn't been trimmed.
So yes there's lots of room to stretch the corners.

I actually got it printed to be 20" tall, right in the middle of the sheet, by whatever length it worked out being, again centered on a 7' long sheet.
My idea was to give the framers lots of material to work with.
01-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Gorgeous Stu!

I'm now going to get a pano of our Rock River Valley and try the same thing and hopefully put a few thousand dollar price tag on it when it's all done. You're an inspiration my friend and we shall definitely see your name on the map as a big gold star!
Thanks Chris,
I'm looking forward to seeing that pano.

If you need any tips for the printing please let me know.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Beautiful photo Stu, and I think the canvas mounted makes it such a great image. I am pleased that it's sold already - good for you!

The largest pano I've ever done for a customer is a mere 12" high, 44" long print, which is small in comparison to yours!! As stated before, it's so much easier to sell an image with the print in front of someone.

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc,
That must have been quite the pano as well. I wish that I could have seen it.

I still have you to thank for my addiction to this art form
Thanks, I really enjoy it.
01-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Stu great piece of work. It's not easy building those big frames, I know. My ex is an painter and she used do do some big (6' X 9' [2x3M] ) pieces. It was difficult to get them braced properly so the finished piece didn't warp. Good job and hooray for you that it's sold already.

NaCl(and I get excited by an 8X10 print)H2O
01-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks Marc,
That must have been quite the pano as well. I wish that I could have seen it.

I still have you to thank for my addiction to this art form
Thanks, I really enjoy it.
He loved it - for his grandmother no less. Evidently it's quite the conversation piece. I still have the original image - it's around 9076 x 2038 - not huge, just big.... (3 frames stitched together.)

I am glad I got you hooked and thank you. Actually I have a pano I just made from some shots on Dec. 5th - it's been a while since I've done one. I'll have to post it and perhaps the other pano!

Cheers,
Marc