Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
We Aren't the Only Ones
Posted By: Mike Cash, 01-05-2008, 07:21 AM

We aren't the only ones who sometimes take our hobby a bit far. Check out what this amateur astronomer has built in his postage-stamp sized backyard:

And while I'm sharing photos from my walks the last few days, I'll go ahead and throw in some otherwise unrelated stuff as well......

I think it must be terribly culturally uplifting to live so conveniently close to an art museum:

A small "jizo" statue flanking the steps up to the incense brazier in front of a large jizo at a local Buddhist temple:

And one of the pair of statues traditionally standing guard on either side of the main gates of Buddhist temples in Japan:

All photos S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5

Views: 2,084
01-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How good is that "Jizo" shot (what ever a Jizo is) - love it.

You must have enjoyable walks.
01-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy crap Mike, that is taking a hobby to the limit. Sorta like owning that Canon 1200mm for $100K!!
Was that shot in Tokyo? What's the air/light pollution like as far as getting a clear night sky?

The Buddha guard statue is cool. Not a very freindly chap though.

The Jizo shot is the best. I like that you had the large one in the background in this shot. The cape and hat look sorta funny.

I don't get the museum reference though.
01-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Now that's LBA in volume. Great shots mike.

01-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series Mike - I also wonder how far out of the 'Light Pollution" that home made observatory is - I have to assume far enough out to make it worth while. The last shot is just frightening. And for your comment "terribly culturally uplifting" haha well judging from the decor of the house “culturally uplifting" may not be a top priority.
01-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I put that last one up on Flickr I titled it "Acid Indigestion".

I'm guessing the guy probably doesn't have too bad a problem with light pollution. He is located in a quiet old part of town without too many street lights and he is sort of shielded on a couple of sides by some very nearby mini-mountains. We're quite a bit outside Tokyo. Click here and the little red tag shows precisely where the home observatory is located. In fact, if you click on the "+" button enough times or move the slider all the way up, that little building itself is on the map and the red tag is squarely on it.

Pete, the answer to the museum reference mystery is easily revealed if you click on the photo and enlarge it. I composed the photo that way on purpose, just to see if people pay attention to detail.

That Tak 28/3.5 has sat around in my bag unused for most of the time I've had it. But I'm finding on walkabout photography I absolutely love the thing. I've been very pleased with the job it has done over the last several days.

EDIT: Found a site giving a concise explanation of the Jizo statue.

The red caps and capes that are usually placed on them are meant as a sign of gratitude for Jizo's protection (or a palliative to ward off his wrath) and since this was New Years, a time that holds a significance on a level with Christmas (although of a different nature, of course) they were provided with new attire. Sort of like your depression-era relatives who regaled you with stories of getting a new pair of shoes but once a year and having to make them last.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 01-05-2008 at 08:39 AM.
01-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Caught me. I really never look at any of your shots, just make random comments...

01-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

great series. No grill on that deck.
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That is a nice series Mike.

I wonder just how good that Observatory is with all the light pollution he probably gets.

They're are 2 about 45 min from my house in Osoyoos, and they both double as bed and breakfasts.
I understand that they're always filled right up.

I wonder if the owner of that one does the same thing.
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shots overall Mike. I really like that shot of the guard though. Very cool and intimidating indeed. I also really like the toning you have been doing with your photo's lately. Makes them stand out from the basic B&W. Now that you are reminding me of how much I like my Takumar 28mm f3.5. I think I'll go screw it on my camera and take some pictures!
01-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, all I can say is "Now THAT's a jones!" And I especially enjoyed the jizo shots too

NaCl(and I thought 4 bodies and 14 lenses was bad!)H2O
01-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Surely you must have been walking in the alley way! Little by little you are destroying MY image of Japan. Thanks for the tour - NOT.

We have a member here who has an outside observatory but no where near as elaborate.

I was at a Bhuddist Temple in Niagara Falls (Canada) last year and when I asked, they said I could not photograph the inside - would this also hold true in Japan? I "love" (what's a better word?) this type sculpture/art.

EDIT: >>Can't see the little red tag on the map