Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Showing My Nephew the Ropes (of Wildlife Photography)
Lens: Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset, Auto Takumar 50mm F2.2 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Northern Colorado 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 02-26-2012, 07:49 PM

My 10 year old nephew is very close to me, always wanting to go with uncle on hikes, prospecting, etc... He got an Ipod for Christmas and has been really showing an interest in photography.

So, this weekend, I spent two days with him hiking and showing him the ropes on wildlife photography. He hasn't been out with me before while I was photographing wildlife so he hasn't got very close to wild animals. Today that changed.

Most of the photos below were taken with my Tair 3 300mm F4.5 lens.

Here is a photo of my nephew while we were out at the local lake looking for Kestrals.

We didn't get a shot of the Kestrals that day, although we did see them. We got a decent shot of an owl anyway.

We then headed for the high country to see if we could find some deer and elk to photograph.

His mom didn't pack a heavy coat, so he had to make due with some of my old hunting clothes

On the hike I saw a herd of around 60 elk in the distance. My nephew got real excited as we made our way towards the herd. Along the way I explained to him how to go about getting close to elk and deer and to follow my lead. We got to within 100 yards or so and I thought that was close enough for him. He took out his ipod and started shooting away, it was great watching him get so excited about photography.

We later came up on a small herd of young mule deer. I again showed him the way to get close to these animals to get the most out of his photography. We got a lot closer to these as they posed no real danger compared to elk. He was again shooting away and making videos as we got to within 20 feet of some of the mulies.

Here he is shooting away with his ipod.

He even picked up my Tair 3 and took this shot while I was out shooting some film. Not a flattering photo, but VERY good for a little kid using a fully manual 300mm lens

We had a great time and it was fun watching him getting all excited about getting close to the wildlife. I've been wanting to pick up another body for some time, but after today, I'm GOING to make it a priority. The ipod is nice, but I'd like for him to be shooting with a DSLR the next time I take him out on one of my photography trips.

Here is a parting shot taken with my new Auto Takumar 55mm F2.2

Last edited by Colorado CJ; 02-26-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Views: 1,161
02-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CJ, what a great uncle you are, I really enjoyed viewing the series and the narrative was great. How exciting for both of you, soon I bet we will have another member on PF. Looking forward to that. What's next, cafe bike racing?
02-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
CJ, what a great uncle you are, I really enjoyed viewing the series and the narrative was great. How exciting for both of you, soon I bet we will have another member on PF. Looking forward to that. What's next, cafe bike racing?
Thanks Bob! I had a great time and I'm sure my nephew did too. He is a great kid and we do a lot of things together, just never had him come out with me on a photography outing.

I didn't get any very good pictures this time out, I was mostly spending time instructing my nephew and helping him get close in. After the deer encounter where he was about 20 feet from some of them (just small guys, no real danger), if there were walls, he would have been bouncing off them . He got REAL excited.

I've been planning on picking up a gently used K20D for some time. Looks like I need to sell some lenses and pick up one as soon as possible. I'd like him to use my Kx with an autofocus lens (for now), while I use the K20D and the monster Tair 3.

As for cafe racing, maybe in a few years! My dad and I bought him a minibike a couple years ago for Christmas, so he's been tearing around on that for two years. I'm going to build an "adult" size minibike so we can go out together. After that, who knows? I've been planning on buying a salvage bike to use as a weekend track bike down at the local road course, in a couple of years, he could give it a go (if I can talk his mother into it).
02-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a great story so cool to share your passion with the younger generation.

02-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What a great story so cool to share your passion with the younger generation.
Thanks Daacon. He's always wanting to "be like uncle", but in this (photography) he really does love it. He has a good eye too. He's showed me some great shots he has taken with that little ipod.

I should try to pick up a cheap/older Pentax DSLR and a manual lens to give him.