Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dears resting in snowy woods
Lens: Pentax SMC DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM Camera: PENTAX K5 Photo Location: Turkey ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: cem.kumuk, 03-02-2012, 07:12 AM

Views: 1,404
03-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice, but the aspect ratio looks a bit peculiar - I mean, to me, the deer appear elongated somehow. Probably a psychological effect.
Thanks for sharing.
03-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I see the same sort of distortion in the deer. They look almost like 2-dimensional cardboard cutouts.

Maybe all the white in the scene is making the fur too dark, "flattening" the scene, and tricking our eyes? Processing with fill light or decreasing contrast might be able to brighten the fur without blowing out the snow
03-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the angle of the road, rising behind the deer, plus the all white surroundings which remove the usual clues for perspective, and the fact that the deer are compacted, lying, rather than the fuller forms we'd see when they are standing.

They have hollowed out the snow to block some of the wind, which also makes them look flatter, because they're actually lying in concave holes. Having seen lying deer in other settings, this doesn't look too "off."

Look at it a bit with those thoughts in mind and maybe they will look more natural.

03-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice idea and interesting scenery, but to me it looks as if something went wrong in Photoshop:-)
03-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I made the pic larger on my iPad and it does look a lot better, but at a smaller size the deer do look like they've been cloned in.
Interesting photo.
03-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

To the OP, I see you took down the photo. Sorry if we were too critical. I appreciate that it may have taken a lot of work to get that photo opportunity. The distortion was unfortunate but it taught me something new about wildlife photography.

03-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm happy to hear how different eyes see things. When I adjusted the perspective of the photo by free transforming the dublicate layer and then adjusting with skew, perspective and sclae options of the PS CS5, I also told myself that there is something wrong with the photo. Your remarks proved that there is something wrong with the photo now and it needs another retouch now. When I'll have some time, I'll work on it again. Thanks...