Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
results from my $15 extension macro tubes off ebay.
Posted By: distorted_vision, 01-05-2008, 10:45 PM

well my macro tubes arrived a few days ago and i tryed them out today.. jeez, i was pretty shocked to see what these things can do.. for $15 can you really go wrong?? i was using my sigma 35-70 lense for these shots, mainly because my 18-50 kit lense was useless as i could not see anything through the viewfinder .. all these shots are with manual focus,hand held without tripod etc, as the adapter ring cuts out any auto features/settings.:ugh:
tell me what you guys think of these shots? i know they are not perfect, but for someone like me who is new to macro photography, i think they are fascinating...

this one is actually of my arm, hah!

this gives you an idea of how close up you can go... this is the same flower bud as the one pictured above ^^ eeeeeew~! as you can see i look after my hands very well!! being a mechanic, your hands cop it! hah!!

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-06-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Views: 2,291
01-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and heres another that i just took of my cactus..

01-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Those pictures are very cool. As a slr noob I had to google what a macro tube was. I didn't even know these types of things existed. For macro photography I just assumed I would need to go out and buy a special lens.

BTW, thanks, your pics inspired me to go to ebay and buy my own set of macro tubes.
01-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote
Those pictures are very cool. As a slr noob I had to google what a macro tube was. I didn't even know these types of things existed. For macro photography I just assumed I would need to go out and buy a special lens.

BTW, thanks, your pics inspired me to go to ebay and buy my own set of macro tubes.
hey mate.. glad you like the pics!!! i was pretty impressed i must admit!!
im stoked that you are going to investigate purchasing them, as that was the main reason i posted this thread.... to let people see what they are capable of.. its such a basic concept ,but so effective.. im sure if you were a dedicated macro photographer, these tubes would not be acceptable, but for all round photographers like me... they are perfect.. if you way up the costs of a dedicated macro lense, compared to these $15 tubes... well, the price difference is staggering.
i bought these from a wholesaler in china and they took about 10 working days to arrive to my door...
ebay is fantastic for some things mate... and so far, photography and pentax related equiptment have proved to be no exception.

01-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks pretty good Kev. I'd suggest that you look into one more addition to the macro setup. Find an SMC-M 50mm F2,1.7 or 1.4 (F2 will do just fine and can often be had for under $25.00). If you want it for regular shooting I'd prefer the A versions but either is good.

You'll find a fixed length lens offers a couple of advantages. Much, much easier to focus and the max aperture is so much greater than a zoom and more light is getting in during focusing. A faster prime will also give greater DOF to work with and a sharper image. I found the zooms tend to distort more and created a razor thin DOF in comparison.

I created this thread a while back to offer some options for macro shooting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11161-answer-macro-question.html
01-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Looks pretty good Kev. I'd suggest that you look into one more addition to the macro setup. Find an SMC-M 50mm F2,1.7 or 1.4 (F2 will do just fine and can often be had for under $25.00). If you want it for regular shooting I'd prefer the A versions but either is good.

You'll find a fixed length lens offers a couple of advantages. Much, much easier to focus and the max aperture is so much greater than a zoom and more light is getting in during focusing. A faster prime will also give greater DOF to work with and a sharper image. I found the zooms tend to distort more and created a razor thin DOF in comparison.

I created this thread a while back to offer some options for macro shooting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11161-answer-macro-question.html
awesome.. thanks so much mate,,, the focusing with my 35-70 is challenging.. there is such a fine line between in and out of focus. i will def buy the lense you suggested as i trust your advice 100%.
01-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
peter zack... i just recently bought a pentax ME super with the 2 lenses it came with originally. all up i payed $50 for everything.. im pretty sure that it comes with a constant 50mm? or something like that? i might be lucky?>?

heres a link to the same camera i have bought. im picking it up tomorrow..

Pentax ME Super - Camerapedia.org

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-06-2008 at 06:08 AM.
01-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the M 50mm f/2.0 came with the K1000, so you may be in luck in getting one of those!

01-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I'm pretty sure the M 50mm f/2.0 came with the K1000, so you may be in luck in getting one of those!
awesome... thanks mate..
01-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those pics are super sweeet!!! You've talent with the macro tubes
01-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Those pics are super sweeet!!! You've talent with the macro tubes
thanks a lot mate. these are among my 1st ever attempts, so with a bit of practice i will see what i can come up with
01-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't interesting how you can get totally drawn in and absorbed in the tiny little world that you're trying to photograph when you're doing macro. Glad to see you're having so much fun with it. It definitely is something cool to have for rainy days. You can just sit around the house and find a million things to shoot. You'll find a tripod (or even a monopod) helpful.
01-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
awesome.. thanks so much mate,,, the focusing with my 35-70 is challenging.. there is such a fine line between in and out of focus. i will def buy the lense you suggested as i trust your advice 100%.
Don't go doing that now. I've made plenty of errors over the years.

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
peter zack... i just recently bought a pentax ME super with the 2 lenses it came with originally. all up i payed $50 for everything.. im pretty sure that it comes with a constant 50mm? or something like that? i might be lucky?>?

heres a link to the same camera i have bought. im picking it up tomorrow..

Pentax ME Super - Camerapedia.org
Yes you might just be in luck. 50mm f2.0's were standard issue lenses as a kit back in the day. Considering the K1000 sold over 1 million bodies and there were huge numbers of ME, ME Supers and Super Programs sold, There are 10's of thousands of 50mm f2.0's out there. These bodies were rarely sold without that lens. I think I had 3 at one point.

Just a note as well. with 50mm of extension and a 50mm lens, you get 1:1 (life size) shots. Just double the focal length of any lens to get life size. You can also stack extension tubes as long as they are all K mount. My set (Vivitar's) are a total of 68mm and I have a crappy set of Ebay Chinese ones that came as part of a lot on Ebay. They take the total extension to 120mm (62mm). So that gives almost 1:1 with a 135mm.

The only disadvantage of such long extensions is the light fall off internally (longer exposure times), so you might have a harder time taking bug shots and getting a high enough shutter speed to freeze the action. But to do that add a flash and you're all set.

Also, the longer the focal length of the lens, the further you can get from the subject. That can help to let in light and prevent shadows.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-06-2008 at 08:06 AM.
01-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a good thread with some cheapo lighting ideas for doing home still life shots and a light box for $15.00. I'm going to give this a try myself.

Pentax Forum: It's Pentax Rock and Roll and I like it - photo.net
01-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey DV, welcome to the fascinating world of macro. I think that part of the fun of macro is deciding what to focus on. The DOF is usually so thin that there are literally a whole bunch of different parts of the whole that you can bring into focus. And as Peter says, a tripod can be a great help!
Also don't think that just because a lens says "Macro" that close ups is all you can use it for. I use my Tamron 90 mm F2.8 "Macro" for all kinds of photography; portraits, flower shots, short/mid range tele, etc. Yes, it's considered one of the better "Macro" lenses out there but it's much more versitile than that. And the same can be said of the other good "macro" lenses out there.

NaCl(just because it can go close doesn't mean you always have to use it that way)H2O