Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Western Nightclub
Posted By: paulsoucy, 01-06-2008, 02:41 AM

A really good challenge if you want to try something different.

Equipment is Pentax K10d with Tamron 28-75mm f2.8....

Views: 4,129
01-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #16

Original Poster
Just loved the outfit this girl was wearing.... LOL!! : )

01-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I wish my iso 1600 shots on my k10d looked that good. for some reason they look really bad even with my f2.8 lens
01-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #18

Original Poster
In these shots I thought the on camera flash was too harsh so I experimented with diffusing it a bit by using a peice of toilet paper held in front of it at the tip of the lens resting on the hood...

I know they make pop up flash diffiusers and bounces, but if you ever need something on the fly, a peice of napkin or toilet paper is a great makeshift one.... and produces some really nice and very pleasing results too...

01-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #19

Original Poster
Final shot, another one of the fabulous dancers at this club, something about this shot appealed to me, I guess maybe the wide field of view on the background....

01-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #20

Original Poster
THe full set is at flickr...

The Roundup - a photoset on Flickr

All in all I think the Pentax held up really really friggin good, even though I had to take my time to get some good shots, it still impressed me, the tamron did much better than I ever thought it would too....

I'm a happy camper!!
01-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #21

Original Poster
Not all of them are at ISO1600, only the top 4 or 5, the rest are at 400....
01-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
yeh, that last one is a keeper.. i hope you dont mind, but i edited it for you a little bit.. its not so noisy now.. what do you think?

edited....
Hi,

What did you use to remove the noise, looks real nice!!

Paul

01-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulsoucy Quote
Hi,

What did you use to remove the noise, looks real nice!!

Paul
download :

Neat Image - best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners

also, after i used to noise removal programme i adjusted the colour curves and sharpness in gimp.

download:

SourceForge.net: Downloading ...

hope that helps mate...

regards, kev
01-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #24

I suppose you flashed on these shots with the 360 or 540?

If so, nice consistent exposure..

I like the pictures, they show great enthusiasm and fun from people. Lot's of shots for remembering the good times. However, a small compositional note, I guess, you have the tendency to frame your actual subject in the middle too much. Check your pictures... Especially the girl in the last shot (wide shot) is so centered. I have to say I'm not sure if I could've done any better with AF performance in that sort of light tho, I assume you used AF?
01-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #25

cool shots
01-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Great Series

Paul,

It looks like you had a lot fun taking these... It makes me want to go out dancing!!

Some of the captured looks are terrific!!!

Great job!!!! Thanks for sharin!!

Kim
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
I suppose you flashed on these shots with the 360 or 540?

If so, nice consistent exposure..

I like the pictures, they show great enthusiasm and fun from people. Lot's of shots for remembering the good times. However, a small compositional note, I guess, you have the tendency to frame your actual subject in the middle too much. Check your pictures... Especially the girl in the last shot (wide shot) is so centered. I have to say I'm not sure if I could've done any better with AF performance in that sort of light tho, I assume you used AF?
The only flash I used was the one that pops up on the K10d, adjusted between shots to take into account distance subject was from camera!!

Yeah the composition was hard, because I had about ( . ) that much time to get a shot once the camera shot into AF before many of the subjects either moved out of frame or into a different plane ( remember continuously moving subjects with variable light )...

I know I could easily crop many of the shots and have good composition....

I like the one with the girl in the middle actually... ( a rare rule break )

Thanks for the compliments though....

Paul