Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Delayed Gratification
Posted By: Mike Cash, 01-06-2008, 04:21 AM

Just a photo of two of my film cameras I took with me on this the last day of my New Years break. Tomorrow it's back to the salt mines.

On the tripod is a Yashica D twin lens reflex, which enjoyed a production run from 1957 through 1973. Just like my K100D, it was a budget-priced entry level camera when it came out.

Down below is a Kodak #2 Cartridge Hawkeye Brownie Model C, which takes negatives about as wide as its name is. On a roll of 120 film you get back eight 6x9cm negatives. This particular model of box brownie was made in Canada between 1926 and 1932.

A roll of Fuji Neopan and Velvia went through the Hawkeye, and the Yashica finished off a roll of Provia. With any luck I may get them back in time to scan them next weekend.

SMC-M 50/1.4

Views: 1,637
01-06-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i absolutely love that photograph.... fantastic mate... it ticks all the right boxes in my oppinion!
01-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Mike, the lighting beneath the camera simply looks surreal. The texture also stands out.

Still-life photography is never easy and I really like the lighting rendered in the whole image.

Have you shot Fortia so far? I had just finished a roll and the colour is just too rich to bear. It shames velvia 50 together with the other two velvia 100F variants. Pity that they are of limited productions and only produced in Japan. I wished I bought a lot more.

p.s. I am still converting B+W images according to your post and I had experimented a few extra tricks to it. Getting somewhere and will post a workflow soon. (I tested on canon shots though ...)
01-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just took this one like most people would take pictures of their kids on an outing. Lacking human companionship I took a photo of the two friends I forcibly dragged along. No forethought or planning went into this other than to keep my own shadow out of the picture. Just happened to be there and the light just happened to be that way. I would have taken it regardless of how the conditions were, just as a remembrance for myself. It was entirely incidental to the temple building, grounds, and cemetary I was shooting.

Haven't tried the Fortia yet. Only Velvia, Provia, and Astia. Just checked the 35mm Fuji slide films on Yodobashi Camera and they don't list it at all. Just the ones I mentioned plus Sensia and something called Trebi, which I gather is marketed as the poor man's Provia.

I'm worried about running slide film through the Hawkeye. With no exposure controls it really needs regular C-41 film so that it can take advantage of the latitude. I just didn't happen to have any 120 negative film lying about in 100 speed and my local guy doesn't carry 120 negative except in 400. Even 100 is already way above what the thing was designed for.

If you're playing with the method of reblending the RGB layers, sometimes it helps to decompose in other modes and see if there's a layer from those that you can cut-n-paste. This particular photo had the RGB channels, plus the V channel from HSV, then the blue-orange thingy and a white saturation adjustment layer.

01-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a couple samples from the Brownie: