Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A Few Cumberland Plateau Waterfalls
Lens: DA 12-24, M 24-35, etc Camera: K20D Photo Location: Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Had the chance to do some traveling across the Cumberland Plateau several times recently. Not much time to stop and enjoy the rich scenery, but did stop briefly at a few of my favorite waterfalls.

First Ozone falls: It's a 110 foot high waterfall, part of a State Natural Area very close to Interstate 40. There's no telling how many thousands of people drive past here every day, never knowing how close they are to this scenic spot. And it's a very easy hike on down to the base of the falls.

Here are several views - different compositions and shutter speeds for different effects. Which do you prefer?

Several miles down the road is another State Natural Area - Burgess Falls. Here the Falling Water River drops about 250 feet total, over three massive waterfalls. The lower falls, at about 130 feet, is the best known of the three. At times of good flow (like lately), you can't get close to the falls without getting a complete soaking! So these are some more distant (drier) views! First two from the overlook above the falls, the other at the base but not too close.
Any preferences?

And here's a view from the side - taken from the steps along the side of the falls.

Middle Falls are not so high, but a uniquely wide and powerful falls. There's a nice overlook where hikers can stay dry while watching the power of these falls.

Upper Falls are right near the start of the trail, easy to get to, but perhaps the least photogenic...

There are many other rich landscapes and lovely big waterfalls, as well as plenty of tiny falls and wet trickles in hidden corners of the Cumberland Plateau. Sure hope you enjoyed these wet views, and that you will have a chance to explore this fine region for yourself someday soon!

Thanks for any comments & critique.
Views: 1,975
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those are really nice! Burgess Falls is nice but, for me, the color of the water detracts. I assume you caught it after some rain.
03-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
krp
Veteran Member

Nice shots, my favorite is the 2nd picture because it shows the waterfall in its surroundings and I like the slower shutter speed. The waterfall after that looks really powerful, does it normally have so much water? I don't know if you used a Neutral Density filter for any of these but those work well with waterfalls.
03-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Great series. That second shot blows me away!

03-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very nice series....mixtures of soft and powerful. Great landscape work.
03-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the second picture of Ozone falls the best but the first one is also nice. I think I would crop the top though to get rid of as much of the bland sky as you can without losing any of the top of the falls. When I scrolled down and did that it seemed a much better composition. However, what the heck do I know?
I like the second one of Burgess falls the best because of the shutter speed.
Upper falls is awesome.
Wonderful wet shots and I thank you so much for posting them.
03-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the second one a lot. The rocks at the bottom add a lot of interest to the shot. It's a keeper. The last two showing stairstepping cascades of what are really interesting and well done too!

Thanks so much for sharing,

Marcus

03-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Beautiful series. I really love the 2nd and 2nd-last shots.
03-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I really like these.
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the kind and helpful comments!

Dadinpentak - Yes, Burgess was a bit stained by erosion that day - some very heavy storms day before...

Krp - Thanks - that was one of my favorites too. Yes, Ozone Falls tends to have good flow most of the year. I didn't use ND, but rather a CP filter. Probably should invest in a good ND one of these days...

Reala - Thanks so much!

Dice - glad you enjoyed these.

Slowpez - Thanks for your very kind words, and helpful comments. Will definitely have to try that crop.

Marcus - Thanks for taking the time to share your helpful comments!

Andrew - Thanks so much! I am blessed to live in a very photogenic region.

Melvis - Glad to hear it!
03-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

Lovely waterfalls, great variety of waterfalls and the 2nd last is my fav! The wide waterfall looks great but I think you need a ND for that one...