Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sunrise of sorts ...
Posted By: daacon, 01-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Here is a shot I took this morning with my Bigma - I was hoping for more 'golden' backgroud of the sunrise but the more I look at it the more I like.

This is the edited and crop version any better ?

Last edited by daacon; 01-06-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Views: 1,475
01-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very interesting.....

hmmmm.. This is very interesting Dave....

At first I really didn't like it but I still found myself looking at it bery intently.. as if trying to make something out of the darkness... is that silly or what..

It is almost like a shot that the light is just darking or something and you are straining to keep sight of what every is in front of you.. lol..

It is definately growing on me.. !!!

Thanks for sharin.. Kim
01-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, I like the shot as well. It sort of 'grows' on you.

If you wanted to get a more golden colour I might suggest shooting manually and underexposing the shot more. You probably already know all this anyway but the shot here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136740-post1.html was also taken with the Bigma and was 4 stops underexposed*. I took a meter reading and turned up the shutter speed bracketing along the way. Nice thing about trying this with this scene you presented is, you could also silhouette the trees more if you like that sort of thing.

* This shot was also greatly enhanced by the atmospheric conditions as well. It had rained all day, then the sun came out an hour before sunset and the air was hot and humid, The 'look' lasted for 5-6 minutes and then it was gone. But a normal exposure off the meter was downright dull.

Edit: I didn't see Kim's comment but it's funny we both felt the same way, it does grow on you. Is this some sort of Alberta mind control...
01-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
hmmmm.. This is very interesting Dave....

At first I really didn't like it but I still found myself looking at it bery intently.. as if trying to make something out of the darkness... is that silly or what..

It is almost like a shot that the light is just darking or something and you are straining to keep sight of what every is in front of you.. lol..

It is definately growing on me.. !!!

Thanks for sharin.. Kim
Thanks Kim I drove for freeking Kilometers trying to find a vantage point for the sunrise started too late and I had to stop here before I ran out of time.

01-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Dave, I like the shot as well. It sort of 'grows' on you.

If you wanted to get a more golden colour I might suggest shooting manually and underexposing the shot more. You probably already know all this anyway but the shot here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136740-post1.html was also taken with the Bigma and was 4 stops underexposed*. I took a meter reading and turned up the shutter speed bracketing along the way. Nice thing about trying this with this scene you presented is, you could also silhouette the trees more if you like that sort of thing.

* This shot was also greatly enhanced by the atmospheric conditions as well. It had rained all day, then the sun came out an hour before sunset and the air was hot and humid, The 'look' lasted for 5-6 minutes and then it was gone. But a normal exposure off the meter was downright dull.

Edit: I didn't see Kim's comment but it's funny we both felt the same way, it does grow on you. Is this some sort of Alberta mind control...

Thanks Peter I put a new version alone side based on your recommendations (and assume I know nothing - I may have 1500+ posts and read a few books but still very new at this )

It is amazing how the same phot can look soo different. Thanks again !
01-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #6

I experimented with the sunset

a couple of days ago, and by far the most appealing shots were underexposed. I definitely like your original composition, do you still have the raw file? Could you try underexposing it in pp and see if it's more what you were looking for?

Here is a crop that I kinda like from the other day:

Cheers, Matt
01-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Dave, Well first off, which do you like? I think your first version was very close to what you wanted and works best. You can enhance the picture some in PP if you like.

I just adjusted curves and some contrast. Cloned out some of the snow and cropped a bit off the bottom.

Attachment 7343

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-27-2008 at 03:42 PM.
01-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dave, Well first off, which do you like? I think your first version was very close to what you wanted and works best. You can enhance the picture some in PP if you like.

I just adjusted curves and some contrast. Cloned out some of the snow and cropped a bit off the bottom.
Thanks Peter - I am not sure which I like better. The crop was needed for sure. My favorite part of the picture is the branches in silhouette.

What depresses me most is I drove for quite some time this morning to find a unique location for the sunrise and simply ran out of time and this one became my choice - oh well I suppose the sun will rise again

Oh and the other depressing event today was as I was driving down these country roads a beautiful Buck came out the woods - stated at me for 1/2 second and headed into the woods again. I had my camera with the Bigma on in the passenger’s seat, what are the odds! By the time I hit the shutter all I got was his hinny heading down the ditch!
01-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

fish story

Dave, I've come with more than my fair share of empty cards/film. I'm sure we all have.
I was driving onto the Confederation bridge toward New Brunswick and spotted a Fox that was running up the side of the road. They have fences on both sides of the roadway and then they converge to the roads edge just as the bridge rises over the water.

So I always have the camera with me in the car. Got the right lens for the shot. I stopped and backed up to the spot the fox would have to come back to, to escape just outside the fence. It was going to be the perfect shot. Sun lower in the sky and behind me. Beautiful green grass in the foreground, the ocean in the background. This was going to be a prize winner. Fire up the camera, checked the focus, took 3-4 test shots to make sure the exposure would be perfect. The fox comes jogging up the fence as expected.

Before I could say "I coulda been a contenda!!" the battery died.

Ordered a grip the very next day.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-06-2008 at 04:49 PM.
01-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dave, I've come with more than my fair share of empty cards/film. I'm sure we all have.
I was driving onto the Confederation bridge toward New Brunswick and spotted a Fox that was running up the side of the road. They have fences on both sides of the roadway and then they converge to the roads edge just as the bridge rises over the water.

So I always have the camera with me in the car. Got the right lens for the shot. I stopped and backed up to the spot the fox would have to come back to, to escape just outside the fence. It was going to be the perfect shot. Sun lower in the sky and behind me. Beautiful green grass in the foreground, the ocean in the background. This was going to be a prize winner. Fire up the camera, checked the focus, took 3-4 test shots to make sure the exposure would be perfect. The fox comes jogging up the fence as expected.

Before I could say "I coulda been a contenda!!" the battery died.

Ordered a grip the very next day.
Nice story ! Yep Lost shot, dead batter, no SD card, lens cap on , mechincal failure it's a wonder we get any shots !