Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Power Fog
Lens: 24-70 Photo Location: Stave Lake ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Jimbo, 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM

After shhoting in the rain for a hour we decided to hit a local Power House. It is not in use any more and there are some interesting areas to photogragh here. Cheers JIM

Green Mist

Branching Fog

Power

Views: 952
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jim, that first one is awesome. I swear that no one can shoot foggy forests like you can.
03-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Susan. Only two, out of 200 shots today, made my web site. This was one. Cheers JIM
03-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

Great captures Jimbo - that BC mist is always so attractive - and hard to catch with a camera, I bet. Thanks for fessing up that you also took lots of shots that didn't please you as much. This is an aspect of the forums that I personally find very helpful and encouraging. It is far too easy to see other peoples work and think mine is 'no good' and I might as well quit shooting!

03-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great captures Jimbo - that BC mist is always so attractive - and hard to catch with a camera, I bet. Thanks for fessing up that you also took lots of shots that didn't please you as much. This is an aspect of the forums that I personally find very helpful and encouraging. It is far too easy to see other peoples work and think mine is 'no good' and I might as well quit shooting
On average I save maybe 1-2% of the images I take. I move around the scene and try a number of lenses to see effect. Wide angle shot then switch to a medium to a 200 range, move back until U get the same prospective as the wide angle. I may add a filter etc. For me its all about the learning experence.

Even the pro's will tell you if they shoot one great image a month they had one hell of a year. Keep at it and through a lot of trial and error new thoughts come to made prior to if shooting.

Checking to scene out before evening setting up your tri-pod. I carry a 8x10 black piece of cardboard with a square cut out of the center. This way you can see the image, through the cardboard prior to clicking the shutter. Move it around. try it low, left, right straight down etc. You would be surprised what we miss right next to us. JIM
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, buddy. I'm with Susan; you are definitely the guru of fog. I also dig the colorful, sharp and crisp photo of the power plant turbines (?); I dig edgy, industrial shots.

Jer
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great shots, buddy. I'm with Susan; you are definitely the guru of fog. I also dig the colorful, sharp and crisp photo of the power plant turbines (?); I dig edgy, industrial shots.
Thyaqnks Jer, I love the fog and forest shots. JIM

03-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jim, beautiful images. How did you manage to get into the power house, you must know someone.
03-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Nice!! I love fog and that first one really does it for me. Nothing more beautiful and mysterious than Pacific coast forest in the fog. Love it Jim.
03-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You really set the mood with your brand of composition Jim,eerie yet compulsive viewing TFS Mate

cheers
03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, beautiful images. How did you manage to get into the power house, you must know someone.
This part is open to the public Bob. [not a working plant] Got some real cool shots. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Nice!! I love fog and that first one really does it for me. Nothing more beautiful and mysterious than Pacific coast forest in the fog. Love it Jim
I agree Mel. Hope all is well with you. JIM
03-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Another great series of forest shots Jim.---charliezap
03-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

very nice captures. The Power Plant looks interesting (I would love to access a site like that). They are few and far between in the UK and normally secured even if shut down.