Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro Project
Posted By: spyglass, 01-06-2008, 03:08 PM

I decided to post something that I have been playing around with as I see there has been an increase in the posting of macro photographs and more mention of extension tubes etc.
The first biggest problem with macro photography has to be the limited depth of field. The second would be lighting. The subject is so close to the lens that the equipment blocks out all natural light. Using reflectors or other means to direct light in generally creates lens flare and other problems. I first started taping the tubes from ball point pens to the front of my flash. This worked quite well but I had to rig up akward support systems to hold the flash and the tube. I tried LED (even paid $12 / Led for the best, most true white that is made today, generally I buy a LED for 12 cents and don't bother picking them up if I drop them)
I decide to use fiber optic to replace the pen tube. I have a ton of old dual fiber optic traffic beacons that are no longe being used and I gutted one of them. I took the fiber portion out, modified it, and made this working protype.

Here is the test device I made. I separted the fibers into clusters (2 small, 2 medium, & 1 large). I sleeved them with heat shrink. The 1" threaded fitting was factory.

This is the light collection end.

This is the light emitting end. I dipped the ends of each cluster in epoxy to create a lens type end. I then added a heat shrink hood so that the end was recessed to prevent side flare.

I used tin foil to adapt my flash to the fiber device (just a temporary solution). It worked very well. I tried coloured paper and found you could introduce colour to your light source.

This is a picture of a pencil tip. I used 2 clusters to illuminate it (one from each side).The photo is as taken. No modifications or adjustments were made, image has not been cropped, as is straight from the camera.

I feel that this approach to light introduction with macro photography will allow me to introduce light to my macro subject in the same manner as a portrait photographer aranges light around his subject.
I am going to build a finished unit. I have decided to kit in a halogen light (MR16) to illuminate 1/2 of the cluster to aid in focussing. I am building a rod style grid support system that will allow me to position the fiber cluster exatly where I need them. I will post some more pictures in a few weeks time to show the progress.

Spyglass

Thanks for looking
Views: 1,231
01-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Forum Member

Sounds pretty inventive to me...I am not near this stage of photography yet but I am saving this info for future use. Thanks for sharing!
01-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sweet pencil..

Spyglass...

That last picture of the pencil is pretty cool!!! I really need a Macro lens... (LBA attack)!!!

Kim
01-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for looking. Macro photography can offer a lot of challenges but the results are worth it. It looks like as lot of people have caught the bug (or at least Santa was kind).