43mm Ltd, PENTAX K10D, f/2.8, 1/100, ISO 100, No Flash

43mm Ltd, PENTAX K10D, f/4.5, 1/1000, ISO 100, No Flash

31mm Ltd, PENTAX K10D, f/10, 1/200, ISO 100, No Flash

43mm Ltd, PENTAX K10D, f/7.1, 1/320, ISO 100, No Flash

31mm Ltd, PENTAX K10D, f/10, 1/4000, ISO 100, No Flash
Views: 1,572
01-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #2

Original Poster
45 views and no feedback of any kind? Yikes, are they that bad?
01-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the seccond one is really standing out.. I like the crop. I like the PP.. and it could work as poster..
01-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by txbonds Quote
45 views and no feedback of any kind? Yikes, are they that bad?
Honestly, I must have missed it.

They are pretty good, IMHO. #2,3 & 5 are the kind of pictures I'd be proud to call my own!

Gotta run to work!

01-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series. I missed this earlier as well
1) Interesting but the car in the window takes away from the shot.
2) Very cool and would make a great print/poster. Neat PP work.
3) I like the concept but the image seems dark to me and the horizon is right in the middle. Re crop it a bit and lighten the shot and I think it's a winner.
4) Interesting street scene. Nice colours and old buildings. That Coke building would be cool to shot some close up wide angle pics sometime.
5) It's a beautiful shot as it is. I like the bow entering the light. Another interesting take on this idea (if you ever get the chance) would be to have the ship in the center of the light and totally silhouetted.

Very good stuff overall. Keep them coming!!
01-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Pic #1 seems a little washed out to me. I think kicking up the contrast might help it a bit. Also, I'm not sure exactly what the picture is about. Is it the door, the reflection, or both? I'm gonna guess that the reflection is what drew you to that composition. If that's the case, you could probably strengthen your composition by losing some of the door frame and making the reflection a more dominant element. Anytime you're composing a shot, you're telling your viewers, "Hey, look at THIS!" Then you need to be very specific about what it is you want them to see.
Pic #2, I like as is. I think the high contrast and color work really well.
Pics #3 and #5 have the horizon line almost in the middle of the frame. As was pointed out earlier, you could help the composition by moving it higher or lower in the frame. You're also getting a bit of a merge between the bow of the ship, the bottom line of the sails, and the horizon. That's keeping the ship from standing out as much as it should.
Pic #4 could use an adjustment to the foreground. Maybe get lower and include more of the brick street, then use the curve of the curb to lead the viewer's eye into the downtown area.
Overall, I think you're seeing some good things. Just a tweak here and there would make them really stand out.
01-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Very good feedback so far, and of course this is the type of stuff that will help me learn and improve, and is exactly what I was hoping for when posting them.

Greg

01-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I very much like the work you did on the Auburn photo (#2) - a different treatment that makes a unique statement.

The others strike me as pretty much standard travel photos - nice to look at but nothing really special, although, the second ship has some possibilities.

Thanks for sharing.
01-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I very much like the work you did on the Auburn photo (#2) - a different treatment that makes a unique statement.

The others strike me as pretty much standard travel photos - nice to look at but nothing really special, although, the second ship has some possibilities.

Thanks for sharing.

Chip,

You may be the only person that picked up on what I was thinking when I saw this car. I pictured this post processing treatment when I was taking the picture on the street. I may have picked too orange of a color for it to really work, but the model of the car and the color processing were supposed to go hand and hand.

wikipedia: Auburn is a reddish brown color. It is similar to burgundy and maroon, although these two colors have a more reddish tint, whilst auburn has a slightly more brownish one.