Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Just Playing around with new lighting techniques
Posted By: Photo Tramp, 12-26-2006, 08:58 AM

Let me know what you think. the first is the original unprocessed with dust on the sensor.

The second has been processed in layers to bring out my final lighting shot.

Let me know what you think.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David
Views: 1,615
12-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting David, is that a Photoshop thing or can I use normal software to do the same sort of thing?

I do like both pic's but of course like the second one better.
12-26-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It is a photoshop thing for sure Stu, I use Photoshop CS2 and some learned techniques from Barry Huggins book on creative Photoshop Lighting for photoshopCS2. I thank you for the comments and like I said this is my very first try so there is great room for improvement.

Good Shooting.
12-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My .02 after a minute or two of looking, maybe if the statue was more centered on the circle , or should I say the other way around. I think it has some potentional it is different. Turned something blah into somthing ahh.

12-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the .02 Pat. Took your suggestions and gave it another try. So now what do you think.

Good Shooting.
12-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Much better, but another .02 the flare you made or the smaller circles that look kind of like flare maybe a bit much. Maybe just take out the two that are at the 11 o'clock postion and the one at the 2 o'clock. Maybe add those to the one over the sword. Not sure who I think I am today telling you to do with your picture. But I mean it in the nicest possible way.
12-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That is amazing. I experimented that as well and never turned out that well. It looks magical.

Great work!
12-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #8

The lighting effect works well with the subject. The only suggestions I have are to have the lens flare coming in from the top left of the frame (to better match the perspective) and maybe tighten up a bit to remove more of the building while keeping the figure.
Ain't it fun to think up things for OTHER people to do? :-)

Very nice, David. I think you did very well.

12-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,
Hope you had a great Chriastmas, and didn't spend the whole day messing around with PS.

Interesting effect. I agree with Pat. The second attempt is a much better composition. I'm not crazy about the flare effect though.

Cheers
Alan
12-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you All for the kind words and I will keep all the suggestions in mind for the next try. I don't think I will do the same statue again. I really didn't get the effect I wanted but what I did get I was pleased with for a first time attempt. This book offers so much and really gives you room to create on your own. Imagination is a great thing to work with.

I had a problem when looking at this at first not so much as to what you all have pointed out (that's perspective) I had trouble seeing past the banding that low resolution created. I took the shot over to my neighbor and he ran it threw the system they have at work and gave me the proof. At high res and 300 dpi there was no banding and the picture looked really good. His boss saw the shot and wants it for his office. Now does that constitute a first sale or being published since the company is a printing co. Any way I'm going to move on to other perspectives and I'll come back to this later.

Oh and Alan Christmas here was super. I had my kids and grand kids at home I was surprised to see them all at home. Great day. Thanks and i hope yours was just as nice.

Good Shooting.