Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
"My" Bald Eagle
Posted By: tessfully, 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM

I was on my way to my grandparents two days ago and had the K20D with me, a camera I am not familiar with, as well as the Sigma 70 - 300, when I had one of the most wonderful bird encounters. I was so excited I could not remember how to change the ISO on the K20D and even though I had the tripod I forgot to use it ...so these are hand held. My images could definitely have been much better. I am such a novice!

But, I am still so happy and honoured to have met up with this magnificent Bald Eagle. Thanks for letting me share this experience with you!

all full reach @ 300mm and 0 ev

f/16 1/1000

f/22 1/180

f/11 1/750

f/16 1/500

Last edited by tessfully; 03-08-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Views: 1,649
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow! Those are some truly awesome shots! I'm amazed you got them with a 300mm lens. You must've been pretty close!

03-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't think of anything better than great capture Tess.

I've never been close enough to get images like these in the wild.

Tom G
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

VERY lovely images of an IMPRESSIVE bird.
How far away from it, d'you reckon you were? Any idea of the size of its wingspan etc?
Cheers, Pickles.
03-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
Den
Veteran Member

Mighty fine images. Mighty fine bird.

03-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tess, those are shots most of will never have the opportunity to take because of location and/or events. My closest eagles are in the San Diego Zoo 200+ miles away. You were most fortunate to capture this fellow in the wild with the best camera and lens combination at hand, you shot with what was available and an admirable job you have done.....Thanks for sharing.
03-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Closed Account

Very well done Tess. I wish I could get 20 minutes with a photogenic wild bird.
03-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Wow I don't know how you could have done any better regradless of what camera you had. The wild eagle is on my list of things I want to capture.

03-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Beautiful images Tess and from an unfamiliar camera. I can't wait until you learn all of the features. What a privilege to see in person like this.
Thanks Bob! I think I may be adopting the K20D permanently. It is the kind of hand-me-down I don't mind. Thanks for your kind comments! As always, I appreciate your perspective!

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Excellent images. Beautiful. I may have to get one of those Sigma 70-300's. I can't shoot against the sky like that with my Quantaray 70-300 ( Tamron?) because of the purple fringing. And I don't think mine is as sharp as the Sigma.
Thanks Bluestringer! I have had a love-hate relationship with the Sigma... never seen purple fringing, but many times I have come home disappointed with the clarity... now I like it again!

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Whoa I adore that look on that one shot, Tess!! He really is checking you out! LOL
Isn't that something Lori! I received a few stares like that!!

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Wow! Those are some truly awesome shots! I'm amazed you got them with a 300mm lens. You must've been pretty close!
Thank you for having a look Gibby and for the supportive comments! I was really lucky to get that close.

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Can't think of anything better than great capture Tess.

I've never been close enough to get images like these in the wild.

Tom G
Tom, I am lucky that we have a highway that passes through a wilderness park and that it is my usual route to my grandparents. And I am lucky I spotted him at the last second as I drove by! Thanks for having a look!

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
VERY lovely images of an IMPRESSIVE bird.
How far away from it, d'you reckon you were? Any idea of the size of its wingspan etc?
Cheers, Pickles.
Yes, he is so impressive, really, he is doing all the work here posing and all, ...all I did was point a camera at him! I was probably 50 feet away. I was on the side of the road looking up on an angle into the top of a large Poplar Tree. These images are cropped. I will add an uncropped version below so you can get a better idea of how far away I was. I can't even guess the size of the wing span. I was looking through the camera when he took off and could not find the whole of him! Thanks for commenting!

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Mighty fine images. Mighty fine bird.
Thank you Den! I hope I see him again.

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Tess, those are shots most of will never have the opportunity to take because of location and/or events. My closest eagles are in the San Diego Zoo 200+ miles away. You were most fortunate to capture this fellow in the wild with the best camera and lens combination at hand, you shot with what was available and an admirable job you have done.....Thanks for sharing.
Cliff, I truly appreciate your kind and supportive comments!! Thank you for having a look!

QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Very well done Tess. I wish I could get 20 minutes with a photogenic wild bird.
Thanks wcchamp! I was really lucky he was in the mood to watch me!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow I don't know how you could have done any better regradless of what camera you had. The wild eagle is on my list of things I want to capture.
Thanks Dave... you live in a good place to see Eagles I think? I didn't expect it and am excited I had the opportunity. Sharing the images here and all the great responses have enriched the experience further. Thanks again!

Here is a photo uncropped. I had moved across the road so was on the same side as the Eagle, and positioned him between the upper and lower hyrdro wires.

He was scratching!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by tessfully; 03-09-2012 at 07:24 AM.
03-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
<snip>Thanks Dave... you live in a good place to see Eagles I think? I didn't expect it and am excited I had the opportunity. Sharing the images here and all the great responses have enriched the experience further. Thanks again!
<snip>
There are Eagles in Alberta , in my immediate area not so much. I have seen them on ocassion , but I either did not have my camera or they were soaring way to high . I still covet shots like yours.