Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
"My" Bald Eagle
Lens: Sigma 70-300 macro (300) Camera: K20D Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario,Canada ISO: 800 Aperture: F16 
Posted By: tessfully, 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM

I was on my way to my grandparents two days ago and had the K20D with me, a camera I am not familiar with, as well as the Sigma 70 - 300, when I had one of the most wonderful bird encounters. I was so excited I could not remember how to change the ISO on the K20D and even though I had the tripod I forgot to use it ...so these are hand held. My images could definitely have been much better. I am such a novice!

But, I am still so happy and honoured to have met up with this magnificent Bald Eagle. Thanks for letting me share this experience with you!

all full reach @ 300mm and 0 ev

f/16 1/1000

f/22 1/180

f/11 1/750

f/16 1/500

Last edited by tessfully; 03-08-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Views: 1,650
03-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very excellent striking capture Tess.Well done.--charliezap
03-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful pictures!
03-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Beautiful set of images and a magnificent bird, all nice and sharp, but they would be at those apertures, very well taken.

03-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #5

Great shots - thanks for sharing.
03-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh Tess!! These are awe-inspiring! I have long wished for this kind of encounter but have yet to see one in the wild. You are so lucky and thanks so much for sharing these with us!!! By the way, I think this are really wonderful shots. You got him in some great poses!
03-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Tess, these are so beautiful and sharp. I just love everything about them. Well done girl.

03-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fine captures of 'our' national bird... what a striking creature.... dave m
03-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #9

A great set of shots! I like how in the 3rd shot he's looking right at you,
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Tess, you nailed this character beautifully. You've gotta be mighty proud of this series.

Jer
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great images. Love the contrast of bird and sky color, and high ISO hasn't really affected the results of 2-4. Slightly noticeable in 1, but still a great image.

Very co-operative eagle you had there. The first image is usually the first and last of the bird I see before being able to get off a few shots... unless very lucky or in a hide.
03-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very excellent striking capture Tess.Well done.--charliezap
thank you so much Charlie!

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Beautiful pictures!
thank you for having a look and for your kind comment!!

QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
Beautiful set of images and a magnificent bird, all nice and sharp, but they would be at those apertures, very well taken.
thanks snappychappy... I did take a few at f/8 but for some reason the noise is worse in those... I was surprised to see my favourite at f/22!

QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Great shots - thanks for sharing.
thank you for looking canajuneh! Your comment means a lot!

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Oh Tess!! These are awe-inspiring! I have long wished for this kind of encounter but have yet to see one in the wild. You are so lucky and thanks so much for sharing these with us!!! By the way, I think this are really wonderful shots. You got him in some great poses!
Lori, yes yes yes! that is just how I feel... so very lucky!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Tess, these are so beautiful and sharp. I just love everything about them. Well done girl.
Thank you Susan... your comments are very appreciated!!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
fine captures of 'our' national bird... what a striking creature.... dave m
thank you Dave!

QuoteOriginally posted by reala Quote
A great set of shots! I like how in the 3rd shot he's looking right at you,
I have another shot of this guy looking at me...it turned out a bit fuzzy so didn't include it ... the look is priceless though so I think I will add it in... thank you for your wonderful comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, Tess, you nailed this character beautifully. You've gotta be mighty proud of this series.

Jer
Jer, I am... I couldn't wait to get home to see how they turned out, all the while stressing about the ISO...

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Great images. Love the contrast of bird and sky color, and high ISO hasn't really affected the results of 2-4. Slightly noticeable in 1, but still a great image.

Very co-operative eagle you had there. The first image is usually the first and last of the bird I see before being able to get off a few shots... unless very lucky or in a hide.
Thank you Kevin... he stayed in that tree giving me the eye for at least 20 minutes before he took off... I tried to get him in flight but flubbed the shot...

Here he is taking off

here he is giving me the eye

this is at f/8 and before I tuned into the fact I could get closer to him, change my perspective and eliminate the wire

03-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful images Tess and from an unfamiliar camera. I can't wait until you learn all of the features. What a privilege to see in person like this.
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Excellent images. Beautiful. I may have to get one of those Sigma 70-300's. I can't shoot against the sky like that with my Quantaray 70-300 ( Tamron?) because of the purple fringing. And I don't think mine is as sharp as the Sigma.
03-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Whoa I adore that look on that one shot, Tess!! He really is checking you out! LOL