Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

I got published!
Posted By: foxglove, 12-26-2006, 12:44 PM

The other day I got a couple rather big envelopes in the mail, one from the Dalhousie Faculty of Science, the other from the Faculty of Graduate Studies. After a brief panic ("I paid my fees! I filled out the forms! I passed the latest exam!") I realised they were calendars. Each year the Faculty of Science puts out a calendar with pictures taken by FoS members. Around February there's a display in the main foyer of the science building and people are invited to vote for their top ten. I forget how many submissions there were, but I was very pleased that one of mine was chosen. Taken, I'm afraid, in my pre-dslr days with my Oly Stylus 300:

I call it "Centre of the universe", because as any cat can tell you, they are the centre of the universe, and this photo confirms it - all the lines in the collapsed barn point to Ollie.

This year I'm going to enter a few from the "real" camera, and I hope to get one in next year's calendar. The competition is pretty stiff, so I'm super pleased I got in.

End brag.

Julie
Views: 3,726
12-27-2006, 07:24 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Man! A stunning photograph in every respect.

Congratulations are in order too!

Thanks for posting, Dan

12-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kitanis Quote
did you submit the photo to them or did they grab it form somewhere?
I submitted it. Any members of the faculty of science can submit up to three photos, and they set up a big display in the foyer. Anyone happening by can vote for their top ten, and the calendar photos are chosen based on those rankings. I'm looking forward to this year's display, I've got a nice macro or two I plan to submit.

Of course it's not all wild acclaim and kudos - along with a free calendar I got a letter asking if I'd donate to some fund or other!

Julie
12-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Ahh. The hook.
12-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Congrats Julie!

Excellent shot!

Nothing beats the thrill of your first time getting published...

...except seeing the thing in the real world for the first time!

Nice work.

Duane

12-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I submitted it. Any members of the faculty of science can submit up to three photos, and they set up a big display in the foyer. Anyone happening by can vote for their top ten, and the calendar photos are chosen based on those rankings. I'm looking forward to this year's display, I've got a nice macro or two I plan to submit.

Of course it's not all wild acclaim and kudos - along with a free calendar I got a letter asking if I'd donate to some fund or other!

Julie
But of course! You are in academia are you not? My ex and I parted company 5 years ago, she worked at NYU, I STILL get those kinds of letters

NaCl(and I didn't even go there!)H2O
12-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
The other day I got a couple rather big envelopes in the mail, one from the Dalhousie Faculty of Science, the other from the Faculty of Graduate Studies. After a brief panic ("I paid my fees! I filled out the forms! I passed the latest exam!") I realised they were calendars. Each year the Faculty of Science puts out a calendar with pictures taken by FoS members. Around February there's a display in the main foyer of the science building and people are invited to vote for their top ten. I forget how many submissions there were, but I was very pleased that one of mine was chosen. Taken, I'm afraid, in my pre-dslr days with my Oly Stylus 300:
http://www.pbase.com/foxglove/image/59880008.jpg

I call it "Centre of the universe", because as any cat can tell you, they are the centre of the universe, and this photo confirms it - all the lines in the collapsed barn point to Ollie.

This year I'm going to enter a few from the "real" camera, and I hope to get one in next year's calendar. The competition is pretty stiff, so I'm super pleased I got in.

End brag.

Julie
Fantastic shot, Julie. You know the first thing I thought, even before reading your text here was, "the balance of the universe depends on that cat, it moves and it's all gonna fall down, it's at the center of it all", not everyday an image evokes thought like that. Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Cheers!
-Asad
12-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Julie, it's well deserved and you do have bragging rights.

Take care,