Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Green Tigers Are Here, The Green Tigers Are Here!
Lens: Vivitar 105mm 2.5 1:1 Macro Camera: Kx Photo Location: Maryland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: joe.penn, 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Well, The Green Tiger Beetles

The really nice 70 degree temps here have these guys pretty active at the moment - I spent a couple of hours today crawling around in the dirt snapping pics, fun fun fun...

[Next week will be the hunt for the holy grail of Tiger Beetles, the super rare Puritan species]

No Crop, shot true 1:1 [105mm], 400ISO, f/13, 1/160th, YN560 @ 90% Power

No Crop, shot 1:1.2, 400ISO, f/10, 1/250th, No Flash

No Crop, shot true 1:1 [105mm], 200ISO, f/14, 1/160th, YN560 @ 100% Power

Views: 1,761
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Impressive shots.

However, aren't those beetles doing slightly rude things in two of those photos.
03-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very colourful beasties. I like #3 witht he small succulent plant inthe corner. It really adds depth to the photo
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh wow. I wish we had these in the UK

03-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Gorgeous! I'm so envious of you guys that have bugs to shoot already. Everything up here is still a dull brown, and nothing bigger than a gnat is out yet.

Really beautiful bugs, well shot.
03-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

superb shots! pretty ominous looking creatures... getting a wee bit frisky to boot.... dave m
03-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Hopefully I will be able to snap some of the "Northeastern Beach Tiger Beetles" this weekend, they are a light colored tiger beetle [also an endangered species]. lol, I guess I could have labeled the thread "NSFW" as they look to be getting ready to do the nasty...

[BTW: Here is a snap of the macro setup I used today]

03-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really well done, Joe. Beetles are hard to shoot because they are usually scurrying off somewhere. These don't seem in a hurry to run off.
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Closed Account

Nice shots Joe. Great DOF too. Can't believe you didn't call and tell me about the cool new flash deflector you got!!!!! !@$#%&
03-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like these, especially #3. I need to start trying macro more.
Did you use HDR for these? This is something I've been wanting to try - HDR on macro shots.
03-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Impressive shots.

However, aren't those beetles doing slightly rude things in two of those photos.
T'aint rude tis just a wee bit of Spring Fever....:P Gorgeous beetles though. I can see why they turn bugs like this into cosmetics. Don't like the idea, but I can see why they do it. Nothing a chemist can make can even come close to the artwork of Mother Nature. Stunning metallics there, aren't they?
03-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Gorgeous beetles though. I can see why they turn bugs like this into cosmetics. Don't like the idea, but I can see why they do it. Nothing a chemist can make can even come close to the artwork of Mother Nature. Stunning metallics there, aren't they?
I didn't know they did use bugs for cosmetics. That's a new one on me. Doesn't sound too good.
03-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #13

This bug is quite difficult to photograph because the shinning outer body layer. Your lighting is very good because you can minimize and eliminate the 'burnout' area. Very impressive and good macro indeed. Well done!
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Really well done, Joe. Beetles are hard to shoot because they are usually scurrying off somewhere. These don't seem in a hurry to run off.
Thanks Dan

The Tiger Beetles are like the hardest of any bug to shoot, I think scale to us they can run at over over 60mph (although they fly off slow) - patience pays off with these guys, it's rare but every once in a while you will find one or two that will cooperate for a bit. One thing to note for reference on this, they do not like people walking near them and will always fly/jump off if you walk within 4~6ft of them, I get on my knees and move around where they are, seems to not intimidate them as much. I seen a few hundred of these guys yesterday but took me a few hours just to get a couple pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Nice shots Joe. Great DOF too. Can't believe you didn't call and tell me about the cool new flash deflector you got!!!!! !@$#%&
I will give you a call this evening (also fill you in on my eventful sunday in DC)...

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
T'aint rude tis just a wee bit of Spring Fever....:P Gorgeous beetles though. I can see why they turn bugs like this into cosmetics. Don't like the idea, but I can see why they do it. Nothing a chemist can make can even come close to the artwork of Mother Nature. Stunning metallics there, aren't they?
Yep, spring fever, that time of year once again

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I didn't know they did use bugs for cosmetics. That's a new one on me. Doesn't sound too good.
Yep - dry them out then crush them up, crazy but has been done by tribes for centuries.

QuoteOriginally posted by hishammarmin Quote
This bug is quite difficult to photograph because the shinning outer body layer. Your lighting is very good because you can minimize and eliminate the 'burnout' area. Very impressive and good macro indeed. Well done!
Thanks hishammarmin - the bounce reflector seems to work a little better than what my mini diffuser does when shooting these guys, I should be using it more often ...
03-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I like these, especially #3. I need to start trying macro more.
Did you use HDR for these? This is something I've been wanting to try - HDR on macro shots.
Thanks Jerry - no, did not use HDR on these...