Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
i need to know if you like and what i can do better
Photo Location: rodmen dam 
Posted By: dragcarlady, 03-13-2012, 07:18 PM

i am new to all the stuff on my kr i like it i just need help with all the # things.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Views: 1,146
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just a few quick tips. Shoot in RAW and you can adjust the white balance and exposure to tweak shots a bit. I shoot RAW+ which gives me the JPEG and the RAW file. It's convenient for me. If I like the JPEG no worries and if I don't I have the RAW to fiddle with. That second shot looks like handshake to me. You'll need to practice keeping steady. The Anti-shake system can only do so much. The third shot the horizon is just off enough to make it look weird. It's not always easy but try to keep your horizon straight. It's nothing you can't fix if you really like the shot, but take the shot right in the first place and you save some post processing effort. Eventually you're going to move beyond using the scene modes of the camera, but they are fine for now.

Read this site Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

Edit: And buy a hood for your lens to increase the contrast of your shots. The K-r kit lens doesn't come with a hood, but you can get one on eBay for cheap.

Last edited by kenafein; 03-13-2012 at 08:07 PM.
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First shot could have been helped by using a polarizer to cut down the reflection on the water. Second shot focused on the water behind the heron.
03-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

1) Use a polariser to cut through the glare and crop out the superfluous space around the subject matter. Play around with crops and see for yourself what looks nice.

2) With this lens at F/11 and 1/250s the image ought to be much much better. Image is too soft, too flat in colour. Polariser would help here as well. Perhaps you did not focus correctly. Again play around with crops.

3) Motive has no interest, was not worth taking. With sky and water the image colour is too homogeneous. Horizon needs straightening.

4) Like this one, but... Again colour a wee bit flat. I do not know the K-r but maybe you are in the wrong custom setting. This shot also perhaps is a candidate for a polariser. And here is another thought. The bird is not in the ideal position to get the best "value" from it. You could say: "This is a stupid statement to make", how can I influence this. Well you can't, but what you can do is hang around for some considerable time and hope and pray the bird gets bored with this and changes it's position. Sooner or later it will and then you are ready to give your trigger finger some exercise. With this sort of photography, and I think other forum members who shoot wild life will agree with me, requires an enormous amount of patience. And finally, experiment with cropping.

Hope these few short comment are of help.

Greetings

03-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
i thank all of the tips <3 i have more for you all to look at for me thanks
03-14-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Also.... Keep an eye on your horizon ! Its wonky but can be corrected in photoshop.
Useful info..... The focus point is not the little red square as you would imagine and will be
considerably larger. Im not sure of the actual size in the KR
but put a dot on a white peice of paper and gently and slowly work out wher your focus point
reacts from. Because the Heron is small in the frame and also slender it would prob have been best to focus manualy here.
03-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A slightly different perspective. On the last 3, the clouds play a reasonably significant part of the image. Yes, a polarizing filter will help quite a bit here. However, you can also do a 3 shot bracket (camera can be setup automatically to do this), and then combine the three shots together with software - Autopano, Luminance HDR, and my favorite Oloneo PhotoEngine. This would probably bring the clouds out quite a bit. HDR (High Dynamic Range) can certainly be overdone and over used, however for very flat scenes like these it may help. Certainly something to experiment with to see if it has any appeal. Each of the software utilities have a free trial capability.

03-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
A slightly different perspective. On the last 3, the clouds play a reasonably significant part of the image. Yes, a polarizing filter will help quite a bit here. However, you can also do a 3 shot bracket (camera can be setup automatically to do this), and then combine the three shots together with software - Autopano, Luminance HDR, and my favorite Oloneo PhotoEngine. This would probably bring the clouds out quite a bit. HDR (High Dynamic Range) can certainly be overdone and over used, however for very flat scenes like these it may help. Certainly something to experiment with to see if it has any appeal. Each of the software utilities have a free trial capability.

Hi

The only thing you need to be aware of is movement when doing a three image HDR. Looks like the Eagle was pretty motionless in this case though. But I think if you get the exposure near enough right there is a lot that can be done with HDR in software.

I too use OLONEO now almost exclusively for colour correction. For a long while now, started off using OLONEO from its first BETA days. I call it the lazy mans correction tool because it makes this task easy. Actually I have done a quick and dirty job using OLONEO on No.3. Used the white point colour picker for a quick and basic cast correction and a bit of luminance increase with the yellow and blue channel slider. Doing this in RAW would have been better.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

The only thing you need to be aware of is movement when doing a three image HDR. Looks like the Eagle was pretty motionless in this case though. But I think if you get the exposure near enough right there is a lot that can be done with HDR in software.

I too use OLONEO now almost exclusively for colour correction. For a long while now, started off using OLONEO from its first BETA days. I call it the lazy mans correction tool because it makes this task easy. Actually I have done a quick and dirty job using OLONEO on No.3. Used the white point colour picker for a quick and basic cast correction and a bit of luminance increase with the yellow and blue channel slider. Doing this in RAW would have been better.

Greetings
on this one i played with at home it is one of the filters i have a lot of things i try ty