Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Climbing Vedauwoo (many photos)
Lens: Super Takumar 35mm F3.5 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Southern Wyoming ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM

I took a bike ride up to Vedauwoo, Wyoming yesturday to do some climbing and photography.

Vedauwoo is a large area of natural rock formations in southern Wyoming, between Cheyenne and Laramie on I-80. It is a haven for rock climbers and boulder hopping in the summer months. Vedauwoo means 'Land of the Earthborn Spirit' in Arapaho. These indians used to go on vision quests in the rock formations and could hear the spirits talking to them. In reality, the very strange rock formations do "whisper" to you when the wind is right. It makes for an eerie feeling when camping out in them during the night.

Well here are a few photos.

Here was my lunch spot, about 300 feet up the side of a rock formation.

This is Ames Monument. It is a large pyramid east of Vedauwoo and was built to commemorate the Ames brothers in their efforts of building the railroad.

Well, that's it for now, hope you enjoyed them.
Views: 908
03-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots! I've driven past a couple of times on I-80 and thought about what a cool area that would be to wander around in. Whispering rocks are places where you can hear the earth talking, easy to see where the old locals got it...

I like your lunch spot - One of my favorite picnics ever was on the edge of a couple hundred vertical feet overlooking Coal Creek near Pinecliffe CO (Google Maps)... Showed my wife one of the shots looking straight down at the creek and rail line and she thought I was totally nuts.

Jim
03-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It is an excellent place to go exploring in, be sure to stop there if you pass by again.

I'll be going back later in the spring for some camping, climbing and astrophotography. These photos really don't do it justice.
03-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A+

Thanks!

03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating geology, and very well-photographed. Thanks for "taking us along" on your climb!
03-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow! I am totally captivated by your series. I think you did an awesome job of capturing the feel and spirit of the place. A wonderful photo shoot ...I enjoyed every image very much and now I have a new adventure on my bucket list. Thanks!
03-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeous compositions, as usual, CJ. Always a pleasure to see.

Jer
03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
A+

Thanks!
Thank you.

03-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Fascinating geology, and very well-photographed. Thanks for "taking us along" on your climb!
Yeah, it is a very strange place. Many balancing rocks and very strange rock gardens. It is an amazing area to explore. Another word in the Arapaho language for the area translates to "playful spirits" as if the spirits were playing when they created the area.
03-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Wow! I am totally captivated by your series. I think you did an awesome job of capturing the feel and spirit of the place. A wonderful photo shoot ...I enjoyed every image very much and now I have a new adventure on my bucket list. Thanks!
Thank you tessfully, I'm glad you enjoyed them. I have about 100 other images taken that day, but I thought these were the best of them.

I'd really recommend you visit Vedauwoo if you are ever in the area, the Snowy Range to the west and the natural hot springs of Sarasota are also great areas to go explore. Really the whole area is packed full of places to see and things to do. I've lived in the area for 10 years and haven't seen half of what this area has to offer.
03-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Gorgeous compositions, as usual, CJ. Always a pleasure to see.

Jer
Thanks Jer, I really appreciate it.