Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ice out on Rapid Lake
Lens: DA*60-250- 21Ltd - FA-50 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Whitney, On, Canada ISO: 100 
Posted By: normhead, 03-19-2012, 07:52 PM

From tonight's walk along the old rail trail..

3 days ago, still some ice left

Today, not so much

The water is so high you have to stand in the water to get pictures... most of the banks are under water

It's not usually like this

There's still a bit of ice along some parts of the shore

Tree reflections

Water before the bridge

Starting to get dark, packing up and heading for home

Still some snow in the bush..

Views: 856
03-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That are some really nice images Norm, I won't even try to pick a favourite. That is early ice-out for your area, is it not?
03-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Stunning set, so many shot's to like, but love the tree reflections. What a stunning river, looks very powerful.
03-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your comments... this may be the earliest ice out ever.... I'm dying to go look at some of the big lakes to see how they're doing. This is the peak of the flood snappy, with these really warm days all the snow in the bush is melting at once... there's a huge volume of water running down the Madawaska right now. We have in the past gone canoeing at this time, but the water is so fast there's no way we could get back up the river right now.

03-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow - these are so nice, Norm. I love seeing your crisp, clean images of your crisp, clean environment - so different from our dank and muggy coastal plain.

Jer
03-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Jer, I always planned to retire here. I used to come up every summer, and I've always thought it was crazy to maintain two residences. This time of year, with another winter under our belts and spring in full force is a really vibrant time of year.