Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Second Portrait Attempt...
Posted By: ebarbaric, 01-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Views: 1,758
01-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #2

The first one's way too close of a crop.

The second is ok... it kind-of reminds me of a freeze-frame in a TV Drama... like the first time you see the character... she's walking out of her wallstreet office and then the camera freezes and a bunch of information about her and her relevance to the story gets flashed up on the screen..... ok maybe that's taking it too far... but you see where I'm headed with this.

The Third is a nice mug... Love the subject's big blue eyes.

The last one (both color and b&w).... just WOW!

You nailed that shot and then some. Print that one and put it in an album. It's a keeper!
01-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

This is a really nice series!

I don't agree that the first is too close of a crop... I love getting in close with portraits. But, I'm not fond of the overly centered composition in the first 3. Number 2 would have been my favorite if she wasn't centered... perhaps if the subject was in the right third of the frame. Sometimes a centered subject really works.... sometimes.

I have to agree... the last frame (in either color or b/w) is very successful. Great job! I really dig your b/w conversions.
01-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This series is very nice in deed. The skin tone and the atmosphere are all subtly captured.

01-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice work here!

Number 1 works for me. It is up close and personal. You establish a connection with the subject right away (maybe because the cropping brings you into what normally would be her personal space. I think that sometimes we tend to fall into ruts created by dragging heavy fixed rules around about cropping and off centered images. Way to shake it up a bit a bring some fresh light to the table.

Number 4 offers an interesting balance and draws you in. She has a whole world to the right of her ready to explore, yet she seems to be waiting for something or someone. I love the way the shot slides out of foucus as you stray from the subject. This has a nice way of guiding you back to the subject gently with out feeling confinded. I love the story you can form between the lines - makes the picture interesting.

Number 5 (even though it is the same shot as above) didn't grab me. It looks more sepia tone than black & white. I generally prefer sepia tone for very old photography style arrangements or old style western shots. If the subject and scene are too new, or does not play up to texture and contrast, I tend to stay with colour, otherwise it can come across like some of the life or energy has been bled from the shot.

Very enjoyable
01-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GREAT SERIES!! #2 & #4 are clear winners in my eyes for reasons stated above. Nice work. #4 you did a great job with the background. Not distracting but just right. Good work.
01-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
GREAT SERIES!! #2 & #4 are clear winners in my eyes for reasons stated above. Nice work. #4 you did a great job with the background. Not distracting but just right. Good work.
Same here. I like #2 and #4.
Btw, what lens did you use?

Thanks for sharing.

01-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Second attempt appears to work for me. I like #1 , and generally agree on the others comments on the centering (other than that great shots) last two could be billboard signs very well done.
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it! Tried to implement as much advice from the last go around and this definitely helps with planning the next batch.

I used the K10D kit lens, because that's all I have right now haha. DA18-55 and DA50-200, for a few of those shots I also set the exposure1/2 step above using the exposure button.

I'd really like to track down even an old manual 50mm and a 100 or 135 prime to play with. But all in due time I guess.

Cheers,

e.
01-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
LED

This is a good serie. There are some cropping/framing issues but overall it's ok.
01-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #11

I recommend the FA 50/1.4... it's not real cheap like an M 50/2 can be (you can get an M 50 for like $25 at a used camera shop) but the FA 50 is a great piece of glass and the autofocus really helps when you're working with such a small depth of field.
01-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paden501 Quote
I recommend the FA 50/1.4... it's not real cheap like an M 50/2 can be (you can get an M 50 for like $25 at a used camera shop) but the FA 50 is a great piece of glass and the autofocus really helps when you're working with such a small depth of field.
I concur... ya can't go wrong with a fast 50 in your bag!

But, these images show that you can take quite snazzy portraits with the kit lenses!
01-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account

The glow around her head in the third shot is very nice...did that just happen, or was that post?

Pretty girl, good shots!
01-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
Jah, that would be post. The outside edges were darkened using the burn tool. Right now, I'm shooting in natural mode (K10D) with no in camera tweaks. I do all my adjustments and pp in photoshop.