Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Madawaska River Swirl
Lens: Pentax FA 50mm 1.7, Tamron 90 macro Camera: K20D and Kx Photo Location: South Algonquin, Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM

We went out yesterday and today shooting lakes, rivers and the melting of winter. I got many shots I quite like but I love both of these.

They were taken as the sun fell behind the horizon. First one with my kx and the Tamron, and the second with the K20D (recently handed down to me) and the FA50 mm. 1.7

Is one better than the other? Do these need more context with regards to the landscape?

I am adding this one is as it shows more of the shore, but I don't think it is as good a picture as the two above. (I tend to get hung up on these things )

thank you for looking

Last edited by tessfully; 03-20-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Views: 715
03-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tess...I'm kind of at a loss to figure out what is what? Maybe a larger area for context would fill in the blanks? Maybe not....I have a lot of blanks, far too often. ....anyhow, that's what Mrs Rupert says!
Regards!
03-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment Rupert. Maybe I should have called this an abstract I only had a 50 and 90mm on me so my narrow shots are of the water swirling around rocks as it moves downriver. The water is so high the banks are flooded. I love the reflections and swirls and I used f/22... moving water is a learning curve for me. Wish I had a zoom or the 21 at the time.

I have one more shot that shows more of the shore. I will try to post it...

thanks again!
03-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

No and No. They're equally gorgeous and stand very nicely all by themselves

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Jim

03-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Jim! I like your story a lot!!!
03-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I must choose, then I would go for #3 although I can't really say why. As for context, I think these 3 pictures stand up very well on their own.
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

They're all beautiful shots. I think the second is my favourite, as it shows a bit more of the wonderful reflections of the trees in the water. The third is appealing just because it shows more of the land, as well, and I'm nostalgic for that area. I miss being on the Shield.
03-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All three of them are very good images Tess, as a favourite I'll take #2. They are typically shield images and like David I do miss the shield country.

03-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tess, if you start editing too much you ruin the images, at least that is what happens to me. Leave them alone, very nice captures.
03-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
If I must choose, then I would go for #3 although I can't really say why. As for context, I think these 3 pictures stand up very well on their own.
Thank you Bruce... I always appreciate your perspective!

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
They're all beautiful shots. I think the second is my favourite, as it shows a bit more of the wonderful reflections of the trees in the water. The third is appealing just because it shows more of the land, as well, and I'm nostalgic for that area. I miss being on the Shield.
I think I am partial to two as well. Thanks so much for commenting... I hope one day you can come up for a visit and feel the Canadian Shield beneath your feet!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
All three of them are very good images Tess, as a favourite I'll take #2. They are typically shield images and like David I do miss the shield country.
Thank you so much Heinrich!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Tess, if you start editing too much you ruin the images, at least that is what happens to me. Leave them alone, very nice captures.
Thanks bob... you are right of course... I can ruin an image pretty easily and end up undoing all adjustments to start over. These required very little with the wonderful warm light. Focal length was my limiting feature. Thank you again!!