Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Another few from my 10 months old
Lens: Sigma 17-70, F50 f1,7 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Quebec city 
Posted By: bdery, 03-22-2012, 05:04 AM

Here are a few shots from my young son. I used an umbrella to the left of the camera, and a flash with a lightsphere (chinese knock-off) to the right. My second umbrella arrived just the day after... My current room is a bit small, and I could not distance the subject from the background as much as I'd like. That will change in a few months.

Given the way my boy moved, I should have put the more powerful umbrella flash to the right, but I didn't know at the time... I should also have made the umbrella flash a tad more powerful, something that I corrected along the way.

Comments and critique are welcome!

Views: 636
03-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done! Very cute and the lighting is nice. Really makes him stand out against the dark background.
03-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

what a happy little man... like that spiked 'do....... wonderful memory making captures.... dave m
03-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
the lighting is nice
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Really makes him stand out against the dark background.
Thanks. I would like to have a larger room, with more space to play with the umbrellas positions. As it is, the room is long but only 9 feet wide, so movements are limited.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
what a happy little man
That he is!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
like that spiked 'do
That's his natural look, for better or worse

03-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice captures. I'm guessing that you want a pure black BG. If so, my suggestions would be to use seemless paper rather than muslin. If possible, I would keep the subjects at least 5-8 feet away from the background so you don't see the muslin wrinkles at all. Its the drawback to using cloth.

Get your lights as close as possible to the subject so the fall off is not as great (inverse square law). This will ensure the light does not migrate to the bg. I suggest to place the lights about 12-18 inches away from the subjects.

To give you an idea, here is a shot I just did in a completely lit gymnasium with all the lights on and a white wall. By keeping him away from the wall and the lights close, the bg is black. This is why you need to have 2 different exposures for a shot like this. One for the BG and one for the subject. Hope this helps.
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
If possible, I would keep the subjects at least 5-8 feet away from the background so you don't see the muslin wrinkles at all. Its the drawback to using cloth.
Yep, I'm aware of that. My current house doesn't allow for that, but I'm moving later this year, and I look forward to using a larger room. Thanks for the comments. And nice picture!
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I should mention.....if you do change the lighting.....don't change the boys hair! Or better yet, put a rim light on him to highlight the hair.
03-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What fun - these are delightful.

Jer

03-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
I should mention.....if you do change the lighting.....don't change the boys hair! Or better yet, put a rim light on him to highlight the hair.
We've given up trying to get his hair straight. For now at least. But you are right that I should try to emphasize the hair even more, I'll explore a few possibilities in my next shoot.
03-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Your baby is smart. He isn't looking into the flash in most of these. My suggestion would be to invest in a few more flash heads and stands, as well as some light modifiers, so as to either diffuse it or spot it or flag it or whatever. At the moment, the lighting appears too uniform and frontal. The skin tones could use a little help as well, especially in the first too images (too much magenta!). Hope this helps.
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am happy to see some pentaxians making technical suggestions as I can only say how very cute your son is, and how much I love the images... I think you captured the spirit of the little guy perfectly and the black background really works. Very nice shots of mom and baby too. thank you for sharing!
03-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
My suggestion would be to invest in a few more flash heads and stands
Those were in the mail when I shot these pictures, as I wrote earlier.

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
At the moment, the lighting appears too uniform and frontal
True, the lightsphere did not deliver as I would have liked. he size of my room isn't the best either, that will be solved in a few months.
03-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful series I am sure practice will make perfect but that is a great start.
03-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

agreed. my pics are far from perfect and i'm sure my first lighting attempts were much worse than these.
04-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What light sphere? I hope not a Gary Fong light sphere...