Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dutch finest
Lens: kitlens 18-55 Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Alphen a/d Rijn, Netherlands ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Thoran, 03-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Can't get much more dutch then this ....

Views: 933
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe it's a dumb question, but what's inside the windmill? Is it a generator or do they grind grain?
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Not really sure ... but most likely it pumps water ...
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice work, but I would clone out the white pole to the right of the cyclist.

03-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mooi! The pole should indeed be cloned out as well as the power lines in the background. Do you do any post-processing or is this straight out of the camera? Very Dutch image indeed with both the windmill and the cyclist included!

For the interested: windmills were the power plants of yesteryear. They were used for anything from pumping water, to milling flower, sawing wood, making mustard, making paper etc. They don't call a paper manufacturing facility "paper mill" for nothing in the US. Windmills were popular power sources all over the world, from Mexico to Spain and from Morocco to Norway. It is in the Netherlands they got so much attention because their pumping ability allowed the Dutch to reclaim land from the sea in monster projects as far back as the 16th century.
03-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

...A+
03-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Mooi! The pole should indeed be cloned out as well as the power lines in the background. Do you do any post-processing or is this straight out of the camera? Very Dutch image indeed with both the windmill and the cyclist included!
I'm at that stage that i do everything with picasa ... i get lost in all those buttons that photoshop offers ... so i saw those lines and the flagpole and knew they shouldn't be there .. but did not dare to etempt to remove them with my knowlage of post-prosessing.
I did crop a little and removed litte things that i felt could be removed ...

Thanks for the comments en the history lesson newmikey

03-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
It is in the Netherlands they got so much attention because their pumping ability allowed...
And of course being such a flat low lying land close to the see provided (still provides) plenty of uninterrupted wind.

Greetings