Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A short engagement
Lens: Canokon Camera: Leijifilm Photo Location: Toronto ISO: 400 
Posted By: mischivo, 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM

This is an engagement photo I took of my friend Serge and his now wife (then girlfriend, or fiancé, I suppose). I welcome criticisms and comments. Don't hold back, I have a thick skin. Plus, I like the image, so it won't really change my mind

Views: 828
03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
This is an engagement photo I took of my friend Serge and his now wife (then girlfriend, or fiancé, I suppose). I welcome criticisms and comments. Don't hold back, I have a thick skin. Plus, I like the image, so it won't really change my mind
IFyou like it, that is all that matters. there is no wrong way to take a photo if you like the result.
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's another from that same batch.

03-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lovely relaxed shot, well exposed and sharp. I think if she had not been wearing the sunglasses it would have helped, eye contact from her would improve the shot.

03-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My sentiments exactly, but she refused to take them off.
03-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
She's a hottie. He could have used a shave.

The backlight was not your friend on this one. It makes the background a bit bright, and is hinting at flare.
03-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting people to cooperate is sometimes the hardest part of the shoot! Definitely she needed to loose the sunglasses. Try stating you will not shoot the image unless she takes them off, and then say something to the effect, "we need to see your pretty eyes!" If they complain about you being a pain in the **$, tell them you are a perfectionist and want to get it right FOR THEM!

As stated, nice relaxed pose and obviously they enjoy each other's company (which will be important in 50 years).

Regards,

03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The backlight was not your friend on this one. It makes the background a bit bright, and is hinting at flare.
This. Beyond that the shots are nice. The washed out background (because of the light) might not even be too bad, as it isolates the couple in the second photo. Did you use a lens hood here?
03-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure what you mean by a washed out background. Are you referring to the sky or the trees across the valley? If it's the latter, then this is faithful to the reality of the hazy day. If it's the former, then it too isn't actually become white. I shot this on film and the density isn't there to suggest that the sky was overexposed beyond what the film could capture. You can tell that it's film because you can see poor development gunk on the right edge of the second frame and the top edge of the first frame.

Flare is evident on her jacket. I don't remember whether I used a hood, but I likely did.

I'm also not a big fan of her purse, but they didn't want to put it down and I didn't care for holding it as I had better things to do.
03-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh, I just meant that the background appears to be brighter than the couple. Almost overexposed.