Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 bird shots + 3 bokeh by A 300/2.8
Posted By: roentarre, 12-27-2006, 12:34 AM

This is something I found interesting. 3 birding shots with 3 types of bokeh - (I know some people hate this word bokeh - a synonym for "background blurr") the word "bokeh" derives from Japanese volcabulary - meaning "to blur". Whatever it is, I personally think bokeh as a term to denote

- out of focus blurr
- insufficient lighting
- motion blurr

All these images were captured on k10d, straight jpegs out of camera, neutral setting on the images, shot with A* 300mm f2.8

Please comment on the quality of bokeh

1/60s f/4.5 at 300.0mm iso400 full exif

This is a bit creamy but at the same time tubular. somehow I like the feel that the parrot was immersed in this murky funny bokeh

1/1000s f/3.5 at 300.0mm iso400 full exif

This one has a smoother bokeh and I like that soft green mesh in the surrounding.

1/1000s f/3.5 at 300.0mm iso400 full exif

Lots of crescent shape bokeh, looking rather distracting. Highlights behind the subject that is hidden in the tree. I actually dislike it...

Tom, this one is eating something too.

Thank you for your time in seeing these bokeh.

Comments welcomed

James
Views: 2,408
12-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

"This is a bit creamy but at the same time tubular. somehow I like the feel that the parrot was immersed in this murky funny bokeh"

Couldn't agree more. The background gives the feeling that it's "alive" somehow, although that's probably a poor choice of words (sounds too science fiction.) It fits your nice composition very well IMO.

Back when I was shooting film cameras the word "bokeh" was never mentioned and I knew nothing about it. I'm trying now to learn as much as I can because of it's dramatic effect on the final image.

Thanks, Dan
12-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the composition and impact of the parakeet shot #1, and both #1 & #2 bokeh work well to isolate and define the subject. On the egret it is a shallow DOF you have there to get the affect on both foreground and background. #3 the bokeh is very busy and takes away from the bird significantly.
12-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

#2 is just outstanding. I'm starting to play around with Bokeh and find it hard to get right.

Regards,

12-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice!

James:

Number one is a great shot! The colours are vivid and the BG is wild and wonderful. If you do play with it in PS, try some shadow/highlight on the eye.

The creamy bokeh in #2 makes the shot. The bird is sharp and draws your eye. I might have gone with a vertical cop on this one...

#3- If you can find a way of dealing with BG light coming through a tree, please let me know. I have lots of shots that were scrapped because of it. Looks like your bird is chowing down on a big beetle or cicada. Mmmmmm.

Keep them coming James!
12-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Number 2 is excellent, great portrait and outstanding bokeh.
12-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Couldn't agree more. The background gives the feeling that it's "alive" somehow, although that's probably a poor choice of words (sounds too science fiction.) It fits your nice composition very well IMO.

I'm trying now to learn as much as I can because of it's dramatic effect on the final image.

Thanks, Dan
I love bokeh and try to use bokeh as a framing device. For some reasons, I tend to be more AV oriented these days. The bokeh from pentax lenses are really lovely.

The creaminess is really due to multiple layers of light and leaves that all happened to be under the shadows. k10d does green really well and sophisticated.

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
I like the composition and impact of the parakeet shot #1, and both #1 & #2 bokeh work well to isolate and define the subject. On the egret it is a shallow DOF you have there to get the affect on both foreground and background. #3 the bokeh is very busy and takes away from the bird significantly.
You probably know that I love subject isolation as a technique. If you study comparative study, it is easier to have a stark contrast if the subject is sharp and background totally blurred. Message is usually clearer and easier for audience. Thanks Clarence for the feedback. I was actually frustrated with a lot of my shots like the 3rd one...

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
#2 is just outstanding. I'm starting to play around with Bokeh and find it hard to get right.
It is the whole fun of it. My mum and brother know how to get sharp pictures (aperture above f11 and sit the camera on a tripod; crop the shot in photoshop to get what they want to see) but they find the concept of having "blurred" image disturbing and considered as "failed" images.

Lucky I am doing this for hobby, not to please clients

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
James:

#3- If you can find a way of dealing with BG light coming through a tree, please let me know. I have lots of shots that were scrapped because of it. Looks like your bird is chowing down on a big beetle or cicada. Mmmmmm.
Hi Tom
I think once I could do raw images, I would convert the images on my bibble pro and "rescue the images" from there. I might be able to "push" the image to produce colour a lot better in situation like the 3rd photograph.

I have been avoiding auto metering alone in k10d in that sort of situation. I would do auto metering first and manually decrease shutter speed by 3 stops... Bracketing one stop above or below the aperture as well. Experimenting. The main issue is that the bird would have just flown away!

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Number 2 is excellent, great portrait and outstanding bokeh.
Thanks I believe bokeh is the signature of a particular lens. This A* 300mm f2.8 has a variable temper and multiple personalities...

Comments appreciated

12-28-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

nice shots, James! The bokeh on #3 is a little funny - I like it somehow.
But the #2 is really outstanding! Not only the bokeh - the whole photo is great! Only the central composition is not so good for me - but this could be repaired by cropping...
It's amazing photo, James! Congratulations!
12-28-2006, 05:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by kjask Quote
The bokeh on #3 is a little funny - I like it somehow.
But the #2 is really outstanding! Not only the bokeh - the whole photo is great! Only the central composition is not so good for me - but this could be repaired by cropping...
Thank you. I almost forgot one of the golden rules in photography - subject never in the middle of the shot. I will crop the left side off of the photo.

Glad you like the bokeh, even the 3rd one. Quite distracting as a bokeh I feel though ...

Happy new year to you, kjask
12-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow!

You make me jealous, roentarre!

Great lens and great shots! Seen this thread a while ago but kept on forgetting to make a comment.

Cheers,
-Asad
12-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
You make me jealous, roentarre!

Great lens and great shots! Seen this thread a while ago but kept on forgetting to make a comment.

Cheers,
-Asad
You have always been making me jealous with all your posts in DPR while I was a former canon user (never a troll in my life btw).

These shots were of experimental purpose for my dull weekend 3 weeks ago. At least hiking in the middle of nowhere with no water bringing me home some shots worthwhile

Have a great new year!
12-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The last shot is just the situation (bright light through leaves) is hard to deal with..

The first one I agree I find a little strange, not bad just kinda different..

The second one however is amazing, the effect works so well it makes me jealous...