Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Melbourne Colonial Classic - Saffin Vs Roddick
Posted By: roentarre, 01-10-2008, 01:03 AM

A very hot day in Melbourne in deed. I took an afternoon off work and headed to Colonial Classic which is not far away from where I live.

Thanks for the soaring temperature that not many spectators had come to this tournament. I happened to be given a ticket by a Chinese lady who wanted to head home, intolerant of the heat. At the same time, I negotiated with the manager of the tournament to allow me bring in A* 300mm f2.8

Here are several early shots I have converted from Raw to Jpegs. The pictures are tough to work with and spent a long time to process these images.

Set up: k10d of course, A* 300mm f2.8 + 1.4L tele + F1.7X teleconverter

Effective 714mm focal length equivalent to 1071 mm on 135mm camera

C&C welcomed

Saffin

Roddick

I always idolise Saffin but Roddick shots happened to be better to my liking...

Cheers

James
Views: 2,528
01-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic shots, very impressive work, wow.
What is this "sunburn" you speak of? I vaguely remember seeing something somebody was calling "the sun" but that was a long long time ago.:-)

01-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
So how much attention did your rig get from the other spectators around? Seem like that would be some great advertising for Pentax to the others around you using glorified P&S or their phone cameras...

You know as a side note regarding the gear... next whenever someone asks about comparing the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 to A* [& FA*?] 300mm f/2.8, I can honestly say "the Sigma is not as good as the A*"...

I was just playing with my Sigma this afternoon, using the 1.4x, 1.7x, 2x & 1.4x + 1.7x along with a 3x eyepiece making b'twn a 1260mm to a 2142mm 'telescope'. The additions of the TCs really amplified the CAs and Purple fringing of the lens. Now, of course I was 'zoomed in' 3x with that, but in your shots, I don't see any of that @ the hi contrast edges.
All I heard from the surrounding was "How did he get pass by the security guard?" "Tell him that it is rude to photograph players..."

To be honest, A* 300mm f2.8 is not easy to use. Using it is different from Canon 300mm f2.8; When you get winners from A* 300mm f2.8, the images will be definitely better than canon counterpart. However, the contrast can be very low with A* version of this focal length.

Hehe, the set up of A* 300 f2.8 with 2 tele is only 1/3 of the price of Canon EF 500mm f4 IS L and still manage to get some shots.

A* 300mm f2.8 hardly has CA though. One good thing about this prime

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great sharp action shots capturing wonderful expressions.

Paul
Sometimes getting some action shots like this is fun. Not really for photography excellance. Just to get a different experience

QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Brilliant action shots. You have great timing. You can really see the concentration on their faces.

Cheers
Eddie
Thank you, Eddie. Seriously I do not want to have the sports photographers's jobs, making a living by the courtside all day all years. I would rather do it from time to time, enjoying it as a hobby

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
ps, I just saw and voted (+) for your submission in the Pentax Photo Gallery
Thanks. I have not submitted for a long while. The sports ones (4 shots) were all rejected on day 2. Will try other events in the future hehe
01-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Fantastic shots, very impressive work, wow.
What is this "sunburn" you speak of? I vaguely remember seeing something somebody was calling "the sun" but that was a long long time ago.:-)
Oh, at least in winter, you get to turn on heater for the rooms. In summer, you get no where to run even with airconditioning. Just not enough ...
01-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
All I heard from the surrounding was "How did he get pass by the security guard?" "Tell him that it is rude to photograph players..."
really? Pardon my ignorance; could you indulge me a moment? Why so? And do you have any idea if lens restrictions and whether it is considered rude to shoot them across the globe, or is it a regional thing? This is very surprising to hear, and good for me to know if I'm ever to go to the US Open near by. I'd have to turn around and go home instead of leave the Biggerma in the car if I couldn't bring it in.
(I have a friend who used to work for NBC, and would work the game and run a camera under tha announcers booth. I once sat with him about a decade ago while he worked with a great vantage point out the opening from under the canopy. Dunno if I'll ever pay to go tho. )

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Oh, at least in winter, you get to turn on heater for the rooms.
Ah, but if you live in the wrong type of house for the region you're looking @ $1000+/month oil bills these days... That's with leaving most of the house @60 deg F.

Last edited by m8o; 01-13-2008 at 02:50 AM.
01-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wow, great shots, i love the expressions as well. You have convinced me that i need to get a long lens, thanks