Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Melbourne Colonial Classic - Saffin Vs Roddick
Posted By: roentarre, 01-10-2008, 01:03 AM

A very hot day in Melbourne in deed. I took an afternoon off work and headed to Colonial Classic which is not far away from where I live.

Thanks for the soaring temperature that not many spectators had come to this tournament. I happened to be given a ticket by a Chinese lady who wanted to head home, intolerant of the heat. At the same time, I negotiated with the manager of the tournament to allow me bring in A* 300mm f2.8

Here are several early shots I have converted from Raw to Jpegs. The pictures are tough to work with and spent a long time to process these images.

Set up: k10d of course, A* 300mm f2.8 + 1.4L tele + F1.7X teleconverter

Effective 714mm focal length equivalent to 1071 mm on 135mm camera

C&C welcomed

Saffin

Roddick

I always idolise Saffin but Roddick shots happened to be better to my liking...

Cheers

James
Views: 2,700
01-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
fantastic action shots mate! superbly executed the heat tho................. u are a brave man,lol
01-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Love those action shots of Saffin, great timing on your part; the Roddick ones are damn good too! You didn't take any photos of the Saffin 'groupies' that always seem to follow Marat around?

One of our suppliers is taking me to centre court at the Oz Open next Thursday night, I wonder if they'd allow my K10D and 18-250 inside? Doubt it...

Last edited by G M Fude; 01-10-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Added word 'photos' for clarity. Appropriate, huh?
01-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
fantastic action shots mate! superbly executed the heat tho................. u are a brave man,lol
Sunburn everywhere now. It was really the heat of the moment that I decided to visit the game. Hormone disturbance I guess ...

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Love those action shots of Saffin, great timing on your part; the Roddick ones are damn good too! You didn't take any photos of the Saffin 'groupies' that always seem to follow Marat around?

One of our suppliers is taking me to centre court at the Oz Open next Thursday night, I wonder if they'd allow my K10D and 18-250 inside? Doubt it...
The groupies are definitely there and they are some people I stay away from. My intention was not really creating a riot there though ...

The security guards have no ideas about any lens focal length and their jargon is no more than 200mm lens is allowed etc.

This is a load of bull crap in which I have clarified with the management of the tournament.

The only concern is that your zoom might not have the capacity to freeze action. I had a lot of difficult time to reduce noise and sharpen the images. Rather intense process

Enjoy your time here in Melbourne

I will be actually in Tasmania going to Mt Field NP looking for these 3 famous waterfalls ...

01-10-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice shots James, and excellent PP work besides, a 1.4 AND a 1.7 TC? That's pretty impressive. Did you use a monopod?
I think you captured Roddick better also. My fave of the whole series is the third Roddick shot. And have fun in Tas!

NaCl(and I'm very glad it's 50 (10 C) here! Even that is too warm)H2O
01-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Salty, thanks for the visit

I did use the monopod and it is essential! The sun was actually so intense that my A*300 f2.8 was burning my hands. The whole monopod was heated as well that I could not hold the lens still.

I am escaping to Tasmania away from all the heat ...
01-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Roentarre

Just a quick word to say, I am jealous.
Mt Field NP was my favourite in Tas. Beautiful spot, I preferred it in the colder temps though, a bit of snow frost etc.
You will love it, and so will your camera!

01-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done James, very well put together.
Enjoy Tasmania, good call...its still trying to rain up here.
Grant.
01-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great work James - the freezing of the action, the facial expressions outstanding job. All that that is missing is that picture of the egg cooking on the sidewalk! Enjoy your escape from the heat - we are going the other way about 6 more weeks and heading south for some heat!
01-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Hi Roentarre

Just a quick word to say, I am jealous.
Mt Field NP was my favourite in Tas. Beautiful spot, I preferred it in the colder temps though, a bit of snow frost etc.
You will love it, and so will your camera!
22nd Jan, I will be heading there Nice cool weather for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Well done James, very well put together.
Enjoy Tasmania, good call...its still trying to rain up here.
Grant.
The shooting is kind of fun but I had well demarcated sun burn marks on my face and elbow. Disfigured to an extent

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great work James - the freezing of the action, the facial expressions outstanding job. All that that is missing is that picture of the egg cooking on the sidewalk! Enjoy your escape from the heat - we are going the other way about 6 more weeks and heading south for some heat!
I think eggs were probably already cooked and ready to serve in that heat. My aircondition saved my life last night
01-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great action James

You have several nice shots there James!!.. .

Thanks for sharing them.. You can really see the concentration on thier faces..

To think .. Roddick actually was team member of the Idaho Sneakers (idaho Amatures) for a couple years before making it big!!!

Kim
01-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Set up: k10d of course, A* 300mm f2.8 + 1.4L tele + F1.7X teleconverter

Effective 714mm focal length equivalent to 1071 mm on [edit:] a 35mm camera
And CanKon'ers say Pentax don't do action... And it's not like you were down on the side of the court like them! Really great captures showing the drama of the moments!

So how much attention did your rig get from the other spectators around? Seem like that would be some great advertising for Pentax to the others around you using glorified P&S or their phone cameras...

You know as a side note regarding the gear... next whenever someone asks about comparing the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 to A* [& FA*?] 300mm f/2.8, I can honestly say "the Sigma is not as good as the A*"...

I was just playing with my Sigma this afternoon, using the 1.4x, 1.7x, 2x & 1.4x + 1.7x along with a 3x eyepiece making b'twn a 1260mm to a 2142mm 'telescope'. The additions of the TCs really amplified the CAs and Purple fringing of the lens. Now, of course I was 'zoomed in' 3x with that, but in your shots, I don't see any of that @ the hi contrast edges.

Last edited by m8o; 01-12-2008 at 03:33 PM.
01-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great sharp action shots capturing wonderful expressions.

Paul
01-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Brilliant action shots. You have great timing. You can really see the concentration on their faces.

Cheers
Eddie
01-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

ps, I just saw and voted (+) for your submission in the Pentax Photo Gallery