Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Red is Right......
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Rupert, 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM

It is absolutely perfect on this particular bird/shot, even though I have great difficulty with the K5 and reds. Unfortunately, I cut off his feet....I tried to persuade him to get on top of the rail, but unlike my Squirrels, he just wouldn't cooperate!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Underexposing reds seems to help, then bringing up selected areas to get the exposure back where needed is how I got this one right.....colorwise.

Regards!
Views: 581
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perfect color! Too bad he wouldn't sit still for you.
Tam
03-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good job regardless of the feet, the eyes are hard to get on these Cardinals. I've noticed a lot of variation in the cardinal red, maybe the diet?
03-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I mean no disrespect, but what is the purpose of the odd framing? It doesn't improve it. It's actually quite distracting, unless that's the point.

03-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice way to capture the color of the bird Rupert. The red seems to be a lot more red in the early spring and begins to fade as the season progresses. Perhaps you could get Otis to sit below the bird next time and get him to hop up just before you push the shutter? Heaven knows, it is time for him to earn his keep.
03-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I mean no disrespect, but what is the purpose of the odd framing? It doesn't improve it. It's actually quite distracting, unless that's the point.
I hear your point on the frames....My own feeling is ...sometimes yes, sometimes no. Photographers generally don't like framed shots....but 95% of my shots are not viewed by photographers, just ordinary people. In that case, frames are preferred 8 to 2 ...I know I've done the research and testing, and time after time, if you lay down two identical shots, one framed and one not, they will pick up the framed shot almost every time. Try it, you'll get the same result, no doubt.

Thanks guys, not the best of my Cardinal shots, but I was thrilled to get the red right, for once! Maybe I can do it more often!

Susan, Otis is willing to help, but at his prices I just can't afford it. I feel like 100 pounds of shelled roasted peanuts is just too much for helping a little birdie pose? If you don't, and need some help, Otis says he can be at your place tomorrow morning bright and early!.........have the peanuts ready!
Regards!
03-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like Alberto Pujols buddy! (well maybe last years buddy)
03-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice red indeed Rupert, rest of the picture isn't too bad either.