Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More light tent shots! Broken glass! ARGH
Posted By: codiac2600, 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM

So I had another day of experimentation with my light tent and High-Speed sync with the Pentax flash system. I did a lot more action schtuff today and I decided to do a pic that I would only get one try at! Here are teh results and I hope you all enjoy!

Yup, one try! Broken glass everywhere! It was worth it though!

Splash

Ice cubes make more sense right?

Starting the flame

End flame

The flame! Nice quality!

Thats pretty much the extent of it and I'm going to post pics of the actual light tent in here later when I finish uploading some more pics.
Views: 3,501
01-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Brilliant timing! You should break stuff more often!
01-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spot on. I love the texture in the water on the second shot.
01-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #4

Very nice work, could i ask did you do a continous shooting method or was it one shot. Also I was wondering what flash you used for this?

01-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Chris, hopefully you were wearing safety glasses and had a filter on the lense.
Otherwise the broken glass is excellent - mind you would have prefered a little more light.
Well done
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #6

How fast are you syncing? Flash on camera or off?
01-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Brilliant timing! You should break stuff more often!
That is the plan! Thank you Hamid and you will be seeing a lot of broken stuff online here soon,

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Spot on. I love the texture in the water on the second shot.
Thank you and those textures are the vibrations caused by me just missing the center of the glass with the golf ball.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kro77 Quote
Very nice work, could i ask did you do a continous shooting method or was it one shot. Also I was wondering what flash you used for this?
It was in continuous but it wont work since High-Speed flash sync pretty much drains the flash in one shot and it'll take a second to charge back up. On these I used the Pentax AF540 which bar none is the best flash for the money, but I also have a backup to it, an AF360 and a newly released Promaster 7500EDF that can be upgraded if P-TTL2 rears its ugly head.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Chris, hopefully you were wearing safety glasses and had a filter on the lense.
Otherwise the broken glass is excellent - mind you would have prefered a little more light.
Well done
No to number one and yes to number two

I modified my lite tent to have a trap door on the roof and I dropped the glass through it and only the tip of the lens enter the light tent through a small port hole in the front so I was protected my a millimeter of fabric! That was a lot of light, but not so much for that light to reflect from since it's well, glass!

QuoteOriginally posted by Romoman Quote
How fast are you syncing? Flash on camera or off?
The glass I believe was 1/2000 of a second, but the EXIF is attached if you'd like to double check me.

Flash off-camera using the Pentax Sync Cable and Off-shoe adapter, which are expensive, but worth the money you spend since they destroy a standard TTL cable.

01-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
and
Veteran Member

Hi,
fun experiments, I have been thinking of trying watsh splashing for a while, especially after seing the guys that do it with strongly colored water.

My question is, why use HSS for this, as long as the ambient is not interfering, using the flash at 1/1 at 1/180 or slower equivals shooting at 1/1200, at 1/2 or 1/4 its even faster, down to less than 1/10000 and faster. fast eanough to freeze hummingbirds.
01-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Hi,
fun experiments, I have been thinking of trying watsh splashing for a while, especially after seing the guys that do it with strongly colored water.

My question is, why use HSS for this, as long as the ambient is not interfering, using the flash at 1/1 at 1/180 or slower equivals shooting at 1/1200, at 1/2 or 1/4 its even faster, down to less than 1/10000 and faster. fast eanough to freeze hummingbirds.
Cause it removes more of the black background and makes it well, completely black! Plus I don't want a DOF that great for this and with HSS I'm getting f7.1-8.0 at 1/1000 and a completely black background so no post process time! These are all strictly RAW to Jpegs.
01-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is one more I thought was pretty cool and also a picture of the light tent all cool looking and such.

01-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Chris, another inspiration and great series here.

I will play around with my tent again soon

But the difficult thing is that you already used various objects that I would consider cool to photograph. Now I gonna find something weird ...
01-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I NEED A TENT!! JEEEEZUZ!!!!! far out!!! i love these shots mate,. well done.. the golf ball in the glass is a great idea/effect!! hmmmm, i am certainly going to purchase one of the tents.. it can double as a new sleeping place for my cat
01-11-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Only 10 US dollars from Hong Kong in ebay. Some dealers charge 25 US dollars.

It is the lighting set up that is not so easy and not so cheap
01-11-2008, 02:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Only 10 US dollars from Hong Kong in ebay. Some dealers charge 25 US dollars.

It is the lighting set up that is not so easy and not so cheap
hmmm, interesting... could i use desk lamps to light up the sides etc? i have a few external flashes also, but would i need a little tripod thingy?? i know nothing about this style of photography as im sure u know,lol..
01-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice series Chris - way to sacrifice the glass for the good of the shot! Love the Golf ball and ice cubes as well. I can envision all kinds of things dropping into glasses now, grasshoppers, frogs