Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax 40mm f2.8 LTD (Pancake)
Lens: Sigma 24mm f2.8 SuperWide II Macro Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Lightbox ISO: 100 Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: EdwardConde, 03-31-2012, 12:43 AM

HI All,

I decided to try to make my own under $10 dollar lightbox. Actually it cost me nothing since I had all the materials already at home. Anyhow, this evening I cut up a small cardboard box... Made some windows so that I shine some light through... and put some white paper on the inside of the box. Let's just say I still need some more materials for the box

Anyhow.. This is my macro shot of my DA40 LTD... Both Color and B&W...

Let me know what you think...
Views: 808
03-31-2012, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

For this sort of product photography a 24mm 2.8 is the wrong lens. DOF is much to shallow. Product pictures need to be sharp front to back, therefore you should use a true macro lens and use F 8 upwards to get everything sharp. Use a tripod and cable release for smaller aperture and longer exposures if need be.

Greetings
03-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome.. thanks for the tip... the 24mm is my only macro i have... I guess i should look at something longer... Any recommendations? 100mm macro 90 macro? or something shorter?
03-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see why the 24mm would be "the wrong lens" but you could maybe use a higher Fstop for wider DoF (and a tripod to go along). But whether you want blur on it or not depends on the product. I think the bw one works very well for a lens photo, because it brings out details and the text. So good job.

03-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks... It wasn't until later that I thought about using a higher f-stop... but by then it was 1am... Gonna work on getting the lightbox dialed in and then work on getting the settings right on the camera.

thanks
03-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was hoping you would post a photo of your setup btw. If it is presentable lol, sometimes I make little setups that I wouldn't dare show online!
03-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Den
Veteran Member

Not stating what fstop was used, hard to know if the image could have all been in focus (if you wanted it to be that is)
But I like how it did come out as the "40" is sharp.
03-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it was set at f2.8.... i am going to reshoot tonight @ f8+ like Schraubstock recommended.

03-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't see why the 24mm would be "the wrong lens"...
Hi

Of course you are right, any lens can be used for "close up" photography. It is just a matter how you set yourself up with it.

For marketing reasons lens makers put "macro" on almost everything. The sigma with its 1.4 magnification is an example. In classical terms, when I said "true" in my first post, a true macro lens ought to be one with 1:1 magnification and should really be a fixed or constant focal lens. (They call them now primes). Ideally it should be around the 100mm mark. But it is not a must. True macros can start at some 50mm focal length and 1:1 magnification. With the 1.4 magnification Sigma and its 24mm you need to go to close to the subject you want to photograph. Usually this creates problems, shadow casting is but one of them.

And of course there are macro shots and there are macro shots. How you want to display out of focus, like shallow or long DOF,in images, entirely depends on your preference and liking and what it is you are taking pictures of and for what purpose.

The OP's image, in my mind, can never be anything else but a "product" shot and the lid should not obscure the lens. As such it must be sharp, sharp, sharp from back to front. Hence it requires a smaller iris hole.

Greetings