Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Even MORE extension tubes !!
Posted By: Stratman, 01-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Saw a few extension tube posts, so decided to post a few of mine, both shot with SMC-M 50MM F1.4 @ 1.4, talk about a shallow DOF !!

A quarter, up close and personal..

Card reader...

Views: 3,368
01-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
awesome mate.. i love the coin shot!! how good are extension tubes.. they are such a solid investment to any photographers collection of camera gear..
01-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow some objects may appear bigger than that they actually are ... yeah that is shallow.
01-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Heh, yeah, depth of field is almost a misnomer... there's hardly any depth! But if nothing else they are a good fun tool to play around with.

I was hoping for a dew this morning now the hot weather has passed (for now) so I could go and play in the sun with my set. Nah, dry as a bone out there... oh well.

Your choice of zone of focus on the coin makes it a very nuce shot indeed, Stratman.

01-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
awesome mate.. i love the coin shot!! how good are extension tubes.. they are such a solid investment to any photographers collection of camera gear..
And especially good when they are thrown in for no charge when you buy a lens for $40 on ebay, hehe
01-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are those Tubes for getting real close with any lens? I noticed that if I get too close to a object and try to take a picture (even if it's in focus) the camera won't take the shot. I have to back up a little and then it will.
01-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, they allow very close focusing, i have a three tube set, 12, 20 and 36 MM by Vivitar, the longer the tube, the closer you can focus, but the focus is very thin, if you move just a hair, you'll be out of focus, a tripod makes it much easier

01-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Are those Tubes for getting real close with any lens? I noticed that if I get too close to a object and try to take a picture (even if it's in focus) the camera won't take the shot. I have to back up a little and then it will.
with macro, its a rule of thumb to use manual focusing.. thats what i have been told, it may be incorrect tho.. if you are using a 18-55kit lense, it wont let you focus overly close and it will just have a hissy fit on AF.. try it on manual and see if thats any better..
i bought some extension tubes a few weeks ago, and they are awesome.... highly recomended.
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #9

quick question, I just got some extension tubes for my K100D and I dont get nearly the DOF your shots have. My cam goes in complete manual mode and I cant change the F number. any help? also all my exposures (inside) have to be longer the 4 seconds is that normal? (with all three pieces)? thanks in advance
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Inactive Account

what f stop are these? if you stop down to F11 or so, is there a noticable difference? if the object isnt moving a slower shutter should give you some wiggle room...
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow some objects may appear bigger than that they actually are ... yeah that is shallow.
Are they worth more when they are bigger??

Cool shot and the DOF is really shallow. It's why you have to basically shoot an object like that flat.
01-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
quick question, I just got some extension tubes for my K100D and I dont get nearly the DOF your shots have. My cam goes in complete manual mode and I cant change the F number. any help? also all my exposures (inside) have to be longer the 4 seconds is that normal? (with all three pieces)? thanks in advance
With extension tubes the connections between the lens and camera are gone. So you have to control the lens and camera manually. It's pretty hard to use a DA series lens (no aperture ring) so you need an older M42 (if the extension tubes are screwmount) ,K,M or A series lens. With a DA series lens you are forced to shoot the lens wide open and the DOF with be almost nil.

Long exposures are quite normal if the light isn't bright.
01-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If i remember correctly, I shot these at f 1.4 on my SMC-M 50mm, these extension tubes are 100% manual, so you'd have to shoot in "M" mode with a lens that has an aperture ring. The DA lenses would not be the best choice for tubes like I have.
01-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote

I was only using one of the tubes for these shots, the 20MM tube, I haven't tried using all three as it would be nearly impossible to focus unless you were using a tripod.