Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Water Water Everywhere
Lens: Pentax DA 12-24 F4 Camera: K-5! Photo Location: Bryce Creek, Oregon ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Marcus Kauffman, 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM

My first shots with my new K5! Very exciting to be out shooting with this new creative tool. Especially after I have heard so many of you rave about its fine qualities. Excited to discover its new capabilities for myself.

It has been raining cats and dogs here in the soggy northwest. Went up to Bryce Creek to see how she was fairing with the flood level waters. Luckily, I caught a break in the rain (and not too much sun either).

After taking the 4th shot, I thought that it would have been improved with more depth of field and perhaps blurring out the water in the background. I'm still working on visualizing the shot more thoroughly and executing that idea. Sometimes the ideas don't come fully formed with the camera in hand. At times the realization occurs when I'm looking at it at home--I guess that's better than not at all!

Comments and criticism welcomes as always.

Marcus

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,037
04-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one is the best of the lot. Very good exposure. I am having hard time figuring out what the second picture is.... The third one is also fine. As for the last one, IMHO, the stream at the top could have been cropped, leaving just the reflection in the shot. Very nice over all. Keep it up.
04-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice set, but I agree with vsmouli, the first image is special. Takes a moment to resolve the boards that are just covered by water, but when the eye does that, the mind communicates a lot more about the mood.
04-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your new toy Marcus. I too like the first shot the best.

04-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very creative images and the first is especially appealing. Enjoy your K5... it is a great camera!
04-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Marcus your first image in the winning shot for me.But overall a very good effort with your new K5.
04-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vsmouli Quote
The first one is the best of the lot. Very good exposure. I am having hard time figuring out what the second picture is.... The third one is also fine. As for the last one, IMHO, the stream at the top could have been cropped, leaving just the reflection in the shot. Very nice over all. Keep it up.
vsmouli--thanks for the comments and critiques. I agree about the cropping. The last image is not quite right. I'll try your crop and see if it improves it.

The second shot is a rocky cliffside trail by the river. The perspective does take you a second or two to figure out what is going on.

Marcus

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Nice set, but I agree with vsmouli, the first image is special. Takes a moment to resolve the boards that are just covered by water, but when the eye does that, the mind communicates a lot more about the mood.
The mood when I came upon that bridge was--oh my!--I have to figure out how to take a shot of that. Glad you like it.

Thanks, Marcus

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Congrats on your new toy Marcus. I too like the first shot the best.
Glad you like it! Thanks, Marcus

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Very creative images and the first is especially appealing. Enjoy your K5... it is a great camera!
Hey Tess, thanks for comments. I'm liking the k5 so far.

Marcus

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Marcus your first image in the winning shot for me.But overall a very good effort with your new K5.
Well, there is unanimous agreement that the first image is the best of the lot. I'm glad it appeals as it was a scene that I'm not likely to see again for a long time.

Thanks,

Marcus

04-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice shots... enjoy your perspectives employed, really adds to the interest... dave m
04-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots here MK, lots of water as you say guess that rain has to go somewhere. Congrats on the K-5, you already have it all tuned up and ready to go.