Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Rocky Mountain Beauty
Posted By: little laker, 01-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Here's the first landscape photo from my trip to Alberta.

I'll post some more tomorrow some time.
Views: 3,397
01-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Beautiful.
The 2 wagon shots and the last one just stand out brilliantly - never knew the sky could turn those colours!
Thanks Ashraf,
In my opinion the colour of the sky is directly related to how clean it is, and there's nothing around that region to pollute it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Are these all with your trusty Vivitar 28 MM? Beautiful shots Stu, damn, I need to get up there sometime !!!
Thanks Steve, and yes those were all taken with the Vivitar 28mm f2.8,
That $50.00 I paid for it along with the rest of the camera bag was my best photographic investment ever. I don't know how many times it's paid for it's self.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Stu;
Fantastic job on these shots. I really need to get up to shoot with you. Beautiful area.
Thanks David
These pictures were probably taken a little closer to your relatives home in Alberta than mine.
I just love the area, so I try to make the trip a couple of times a year.

I'd like to make it out your way some time soon as well. I just love your pictures, especially of your outdoor studio also known as your back yard.

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Great shots...I really like the 2 with the wagons....Bob
Thanks Bob

01-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Some very nice setup there. Very good shots. Did you take some additional pictures framing smaller portions of those scenes? Some of that or some cropping would really make a few of those pictures POP!

I think I might have taken a frame or two with flash on the first landscape picture. The roots of the tree sticking up out of the ground might have added considerable balance & dimension to the shot with a little light thrown on them.
01-12-2008, 01:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tour,

Although I did take some additional pictures framing smaller portions of most of the scenes they were done with a Medium format film camera, using Fujifilm Neopan 100 Acros B&W film.
And I haven't had the chance to develop it yet.

If I'm going to do any crops it'll be on the film, otherwise the image quality will suffer too much when I make prints.

I don't make a habit of changing lenses in the field if I don't have to, and I'm sure not going back to zoom lenses to please the odd person here and there.
Although I will be adding another camera to my collection before my next trip there, and I will have a different length lens on it.

I probably could have used the flash on a few pictures, but it's too late now.
01-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Wonderful Shots

Wonderful Shots Stu...

I can't decide if I like the 2nd wagon pic (shows what 50 ft can do for a pic huh?) or the last shot... They are both breaktaking.. The sky in your original post is very nice as well.. but that picture seems alittle dark to me..

And actually the more I look at them the snow fence picture is growing on me.. The colors in your photos are always so rich... Always enjoy them!!!

Looking forward to seeing those b&w... Kim

01-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Kim,

That first photo was taken shortly before the sun disappeared, so I tried to capture the moment.
I do have 1 from just across the frozen lake taken earlier, which I should really look at again. I was battling the sun with it though, so it's probably a very unusual exposure.
01-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Stu, sorry if I came off too critical - It was purely constructive, I assure you. The pictures were beautiful and the overwhelming response you got for them proves that fact. Simply offering up some humble food for thought for your future consideration and use, please don't take it any other way except that I wish to be helpful.

Most Respectfully,

Gentleman Jim
01-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No worries Jim,
I still haven't had a chance to get the B&W developed. My local camera shop doesn't have the chemicals they thought they had any probably won't get any in since I'm the only one who's playing with medium format B&W in the area.

It's looking like I'll be moving into my own place in a week or so, so I'm hoping on setting up my own darkroom, and doing it then.
Otherwise I'll just send them out.