Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Oregon, part I.....
Posted By: UpNorth, 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM

A couple of weeks ago I took one of my daughters "out West" for some college visits. Most of the trip was spent flying, driving or touring schools - but I did tack on an extra day for us to do some hiking at the end of the trip. Neither of us had been to Oregon before, and it sure is a beautiful part of the country.
(Ironically enough, it was St Patrick's Day - and there was no shortage of green everywhere we went!)

1 - The lower portion of Wahkeena Falls

2 - A longer view.....

3 - A very few parts of the trails were paved.....

4 - Some perspective.....

5 - What she's looking at.....

6 - The side of the 'mountain".....

7 - Still trying to find the top.....

More to follow.....

Thanks for looking,

Tim
Views: 1,403
04-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Tim, I've been so busy but wanting to get back to your series to let you know how much I enjoyed these. I love the long view of the falls, the path, the pics with your daughter ... her smallness and bright coat makes a great composition with the huge falls. Thanks for sharing these. I've heard lots about how gorgeous Oregon is... you've captured its lushness and wildness here.
Thanks Tess. With your love of the outdoors, I'm sure you'd love it out there. You'll have to add it to your bucket list - I know I'll be going back!

Thanks for taking time to comment,

Tim

04-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow I'll say there's green there beautiful country.
04-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I especially like the second image, with the foot bridge dwarfed within its surroundings, and the last picture which exudes the incessant mist that allows moss, algae and ferns to grow on every available surface. Only the footpath is not green.
04-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow I'll say there's green there beautiful country.

You're right Dave. I find that amazing for two reasons:

1) That any place that's not a tropical rain forrest could be that green, and

2) That any place that far north can be that green that early in the year. Portland's got to be about the same latitude, give or take, as St Paul. Even with our unusually mild winter this year things still weren't blooming, budding, growing on St Patrick's Day here at home - but out there it looked like it was June already! Those must be some kind of winds off the Pacific I guess.

Tim

04-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
You're right Dave. I find that amazing for two reasons:

1) That any place that's not a tropical rain forrest could be that green, and

2) That any place that far north can be that green that early in the year. Portland's got to be about the same latitude, give or take, as St Paul. Even with our unusually mild winter this year things still weren't blooming, budding, growing on St Patrick's Day here at home - but out there it looked like it was June already! Those must be some kind of winds off the Pacific I guess.

Tim
1) There are some places in the NW that are classified as rain forests...the temperate kind...such as Olympic National Park and Silver Falls OR. Insane amounts of mossy, greeny goodness.

2) I lived 23 years in MN....love the state and the people, but me and my skin don't miss those dry winters. The two cities are about on the same latitude but OR has such a varying degree of climates because of the ocean and the Cascade mountain range. Portland along with the Columbia River Gorge are located in the Willamette Valley in between the Coastal mountain range and the Cascades....with Portland about an hour from both. The mountains keep out a lot of the coastal rain and cold from the east keeping Portland very temperate....if you go on either side of the mountains you get more extremes. I have never seen such a diverse area.....temperate rain forests, deserts, mountain snow and sandy beaches. The NW has it good....but people will still complain about the rain
04-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I especially like the second image, with the foot bridge dwarfed within its surroundings, and the last picture which exudes the incessant mist that allows moss, algae and ferns to grow on every available surface. Only the footpath is not green.

Nice catch Walt. I was afraid the bridge would get "lost" in the distance in that 2nd shot. I was figuring some folks would think that the green had been pp'd in (especially on some of the shots in my "Part II" posting) - but it truely is that green there. Almost unbelievable.

Thanks for looking,

Tim
04-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
1) There are some places in the NW that are classified as rain forests...the temperate kind...such as Olympic National Park and Silver Falls OR. Insane amounts of mossy, greeny goodness.

2) I lived 23 years in MN....love the state and the people, but me and my skin don't miss those dry winters. The two cities are about on the same latitude but OR has such a varying degree of climates because of the ocean and the Cascade mountain range. Portland along with the Columbia River Gorge are located in the Willamette Valley in between the Coastal mountain range and the Cascades....with Portland about an hour from both. The mountains keep out a lot of the coastal rain and cold from the east keeping Portland very temperate....if you go on either side of the mountains you get more extremes. I have never seen such a diverse area.....temperate rain forests, deserts, mountain snow and sandy beaches. The NW has it good....but people will still complain about the rain

It's quite the area. I'm sure I'll be back at some point.
From what I understand, even with all that moisture you guys still don't have trouble with mosquitos out there. Given that level of moisture you have I would think they'd be even bigger then ours! Another advantage of all those "micro-climates" I guess.
Damn 10,000 lakes!

Tim

04-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I always like shots that have that primal look with the green colors.Nice--charliezap
04-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
It's quite the area. I'm sure I'll be back at some point.
From what I understand, even with all that moisture you guys still don't have trouble with mosquitos out there. Given that level of moisture you have I would think they'd be even bigger then ours! Another advantage of all those "micro-climates" I guess.
Damn 10,000 lakes!

Tim
Yeah, for as wet as Oregon is in the winter/spring, it really dries out in the summer time which is a welcomed change. The place there is mosquitoes are near mountains at high elevations. Alpine lakes and streams can have a ridiculous swarms ready to suck you dry. I spent a couple days up near Mt. Jefferson at around 6000 ft. It was late July, but there was still tons of snow. Using DEET I covered myself, but neglected the underside of my forearms near my elbows....I counted 40 something bites after that trip.
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I always like shots that have that primal look with the green colors.Nice--charliezap

Thanks Charlie.....

Tim