Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
California Landscape (San Diego, Anza-Borrego, Joshua Tree, etc)
Lens: DA* 16-50, 50-135 Camera: K5, K200 
Posted By: LFLee, 04-09-2012, 01:57 PM

share several panoramic pictures took during recent trip to California (more specifically, San Diego, Anza-Borrego, Joshua Tree). The weather is just great (hot!) but is really nice for someone from the east coast. CC welcome! My combo is K5+16-50, K200+50-135.

Views: 1,049
04-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What can I say.Very nice and postcard quality.--charliezap
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Anza Borrego valley is so lush at this time of year, not so during the summer months. All great shots here of my old stomping grounds. Not many visit Salvation Mountain near Niland, a true labor of love by Leonard Knight. Joshua Tree and the massive rock formations is a great representation of the desert, glad you were able to tour the areas. Bob
04-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
What can I say.Very nice and postcard quality.--charliezap
Thanks for the kind words!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
the Anza Borrego valley is so lush at this time of year, not so during the summer months. All great shots here of my old stomping grounds. Not many visit Salvation Mountain near Niland, a true labor of love by Leonard Knight. Joshua Tree and the massive rock formations is a great representation of the desert, glad you were able to tour the areas. Bob
Thanks bob! Yea, Anza-Borrego is really nice. I guess we were lucky, it was a great time as we can see wild flowers everywhere! When I learned about Salvation Mountains and the nearby Salton Sea, I have got to include them in my route to Joshua Tree. You don't need to have a religion to appreciate the work of Leonard Knight. I hope we have more time to stop along the Salton Sea though... many great landscapes from the south entrance to Joshua Tree NP that we did not manage to stop and take pictures since it was getting dark...

04-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
You don't need to have a religion to appreciate the work of Leonard Knight.
I heard from an area resident that Leonard is in a rest home. I wonder if Salvation Mountain will be maintained as a historic place?

04-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
when I arrived I saw an old man leaving the place on his bicycle.... white hair, but I am not sure if it is Leonard. I have read somewhere that some people advocate to make it a National Monument. The mountain is generally well maintained, but certain places obviously need some clean up. I think the very least the state should do something to protect the place if Leonard no longer able to maintain it. But I also read somewhere that that area itself is like belongs to no one.... so I guess will be complicated.

The Salvation Mountain (and the nearby Slab City) is one of those thing that "only in America"....
04-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a thread I did on Salvation Mountain, thought you might enjoy the view. Bob
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/129979-travel-salvation-mountain.html

04-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeous series of photos. Great quality. Thanks for sharing. Salvation Mtn. was really interesting. I had never heard of it. Love learning something new as I always seem to do on this forum.