Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Red Winged Black Bird
Lens: Tamaron 70-200 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta ISO: 800 
Posted By: daacon, 04-11-2012, 08:44 AM

Here are a few shots taken over the last several days of one of the dominat residents of the local wetlands. These males can be heard chirping away calling for the female (that looks like a sparrow almost). Lots of them in the area. Hard buggers to capture as they usaully prefer high trees or out in the middle of the marsh (never mind the fact they are jet black as well) where I can't really get a good shot. Once in a while they come in and I was lucky enough to be there.

As a side note last few days I have been taking out the DA 55-300 having quite a few issues with that one - find Center Metering to be best so far - seems hard to nail focus on it with a very high failure rate. I have already brought it in once , not sure it would be worth the $$ to bring it in again. The Tammy on the other hand is a much sweeter lens in all aspects.

#4 I like this silhouette where he's signing for his love

#5 a few of the fellows swapping stories no doubt

Last edited by daacon; 04-11-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Views: 828
04-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Closed Account

Excellent focus you have there with a nice series and a pretty bird.

Last edited by wcchamp18; 04-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.
04-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We had a group of the red wings migrating through with some yellow heads while in AZ and like you said hard to get a good shot of, and constantly moving around. Nice captures here Dave and they are quite noisy.
04-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, these are great, Dave!! I love the silhouette of the one chirping away and the last picture is beautifully composed of the group. Well done!

04-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Excellent focus you have there with a nice series and a pretty bird.
Thansk wcchamp18 appreciate the kind words

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
We had a group of the red wings migrating through with some yellow heads while in AZ and like you said hard to get a good shot of, and constantly moving around. Nice captures here Dave and they are quite noisy.
Yep they are back here Bob and you are right very noisy.

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Wow, these are great, Dave!! I love the silhouette of the one chirping away and the last picture is beautifully composed of the group. Well done!
Thanks loco the Tamaron 70-200 is a fine piece of glass and that one is my favorite as well.
04-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

#2 is a really fine shot Dave ! Beautiful light, catch-light, lovely composition, decent sharpness, got it all