Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cherry blossom macros
Lens: Pentax A 50mm f./2, tubes, ring flash Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Ontario, Canada ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Philoslothical, 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM

I know, I know, cherry blossoms are way overdone this time of year. They're one of the only things in bloom here right now, so, we make do.

This morning was the first I felt much like shooting in a few days. Funny how that goes sometimes.

Views: 1,596
04-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are beautiful! Lovely DoF and clarity. Extremely sharp! Nice job!
04-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Merci ... thanks and what flash ring do you use? Just curious because I am considering one ... Merci encore, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-11-2012 at 11:13 PM.
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The look as good as I am sure they smell. Nice series.

04-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've got in nice and close with these shots showing a different look to the blossoms.
04-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

All three are nice, but truth be told the only one that caught my eye is the third one. Not sure if it is because the blossom is off centre, or because you have more colour contrast coming from the other parts of the blossom / tree etc. On the second image I have no complaints, but on the first, too much of the left hand part is not sharp, and since that petal is larger than the rest it is a distraction.
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments and feedback!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci ... thanks and what flash ring do you use? Just curious because I considering one ... Merci encore, J
It's an old Vivitar Macroflash 5000 that I purchased from a forum member not long ago. I'm still figuring out how to use it effectively, as it's the first of its type I've used. It is BRIGHT, shockingly bright. The first day I used it I was blowing out scenes at 1/160th, f./22 and ISO 100. It was probably because I was so close to subject, about 3 inches from the front of the flash. In any case, a cut out paper ring to diffuse it a bit worked wonders. There is a conflict in the information available about this flash. Some reviews list it as GN 5, but the manual itself lists it as GN 18. I'm inclined to believe the manual, but I'm far from being an expert.

There's a successor to it that's in the $50 range that looks like it might be better: Vivitar DR-5000 Macro Ring Flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
All three are nice, but truth be told the only one that caught my eye is the third one.
I totally agree, the bud adds something, and the positioning feels more, IDK, complete. I'll have to try these again sometime soon when it isn't so windy. The positioning in most of the shots I took today was somewhat randomized by the branches bouncing all over the place. Thanks for the feedback.

04-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I totally agree, the bud adds something, and the positioning feels more, IDK, complete. I'll have to try these again sometime soon when it isn't so windy. The positioning in most of the shots I took today was somewhat randomized by the branches bouncing all over the place. Thanks for the feedback.
I fully understand about the wind. I tried to shoot the blossoms at High Park this past Monday and it was too windy for any sort of close ups, except for a couple of blossoms attached to the tree trunk. And even today I was struggling to capture some local shrubbery. I should note I don't shoot with flash, although in some ways that is better as you can go to faster shutter speeds.
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep. I'm just out of Trenton, and the wind off the lake here is nuts a lot of the time. The flash helps a lot, I couldn't have got these today without it. For freezing movement, it simulates a much higher shutter than the X-sync speed due to the brevity and intensity of the flash. I highly recommend picking one up.

I think I'll get a lot of use out of this old ring flash this summer. Thanks again for it @Julie
04-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Merci ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Thanks for all the comments and feedback!
It's an old Vivitar Macroflash 5000 that I purchased from a forum member not long ago. I'm still figuring out how to use it effectively, as it's the first of its type I've used. It is BRIGHT, shockingly bright. The first day I used it I was blowing out scenes at 1/160th, f./22 and ISO 100. It was probably because I was so close to subject, about 3 inches from the front of the flash. In any case, a cut out paper ring to diffuse it a bit worked wonders. There is a conflict in the information available about this flash. Some reviews list it as GN 5, but the manual itself lists it as GN 18. I'm inclined to believe the manual, but I'm far from being an expert.

There's a successor to it that's in the $50 range that looks like it might be better: Vivitar DR-5000 Macro Ring Flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database ...
Bonjour Philoslothical,

Thanks for your answer and the links ... good to know.

Merci encore et salut, John le Frog