Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Invasion of the Cedar Waxings
Lens: Tamaron 70-200 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta ISO: 800 
Posted By: daacon, 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM

This was quite a site. Scores of them all over the yard. Stayed about 10 minutes then poof all gone. My wife has an aversion to that many birds close by (deep rooted fear set in by Mr. Hitchcock)

Views: 768
04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ones that flock like that in my area Dave are the grackles and their buddies the red winged blackbirds. Just like Bodega Bay.--charliezap
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus. These birds have dark undertail coverts, whereas Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) has white undertail coverts. Bohemians are common in the Prairie Provinces most winters, whereas most Cedars have headed south.
04-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We've had a similar experience here in South Carolina over the past few weeks. We've had flocks return most days multiple times during the day at times. I counted between 40 and 50 a couple of times. They swoop down in groups of 10 or more to a holly bush and eat the berries. The top third or so of the bushes are stripped of berries now. One morning my three year old grandson went out with me and said, "Look granddaddy, our bird friends came to visit."

I have photos in another thread.