Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
alternate Carlsbad
Camera: K10 Photo Location: Carlsebad NM ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Bob Harris posted some fine pictures from Carlsbad Caverns, which inspired me to post some of my own taken in '07 - "alternate" because I did not use flash so the mood is very different. The first shows the entry walkway, the second shot is the entry cave where you can look down and see some tourists along the walkway. The incandescent lighting in the cave formations tends to be weak but dramatic and rather yellowish as recorded by the K10.The deep shadow areas tend to record with a lot of noise. Most of the shots were 1/4 second @ f4, ISO 1600. No tripods allowed, and I do NOT have very steady hands, so although I could sometimes brace the camera on a railing, IQ generally suffers from shake. The last shot is the original rope ladder still hanging from where the original explorers descended into a lower cavern. Tourists are not allowed to use it.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Views: 796
04-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating images.

Well done.

Tom G
04-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That fourth shot is just WOW.
04-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the shots, but no tripods?

I was there a year ago, and they didn't say anything about the tripod I brought and used. Maybe they were ok because it was the off-season.

I tell you, for hand-holding and 1600, you did good. I did have the benefit of a tripod, but even with my K10, I didn't do nearly as well as you did. Given the humidity in the caverns, I think long exposures ended up hurting more than helping as I ended up with "fog" in a lot of places.

04-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for various comments. The fifth shot down is one of my favorites. Retook it about five times where I was able to brace on a railing, but it was slippery with moisture. This is about the sharpest shot I got.
04-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
these are all great, much better than I got. My ladder shot was way to dark, I enjoyed seeing that one especially. We may go to the AL and MS coastal area and would like to stop by the caverns with the K5 and better flash units. I still think this is one of those sites that can't be captured like we view through our eyes. Thanks so much for posting these, great job for sure. Bob