Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
eggs - genuine, not l'Eggs
Lens: 40mm ltd Camera: K5 Photo Location: home ISO: 400 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 04-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Just for fun. We have a large collection of Easter eggs colored by ourselves and the kids over many years. Some, of course, have been lost. There are a couple non-family eggs in this batch.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Views: 913
04-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
almost like Christmas ornaments from the past. Do you apply some type of coating to the eggs to preserve them?
04-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dunno how the ones in the basket were done but normally you have to blow them out or an accident later that breaks one would be scary. Can't do it with hard boiled obviously. Its something of an art to punch a tiny hole in both ends and quite literally blow the guts out (scrambled eggs for a week) and possibly rinse them out though the remainder will dry before it rots and I don't think we ever bothered. And they actually make perfect ornaments for either a christmas or easter tree depending on how you decorate them, you just add a string (or fishing line) to hang it.

Love the lower left one btw, I'm so very stealing that design. Certainly displays the color range of the K-5 and lenses.

EDIT: I see the holes in 2 on the bottom row so it looks like that's how they were done.
04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Really enjoyed looking at them, awakens memories when I was knee high to a grass hopper. We spent hours painting up eggs also.
Unfortunately in Australia we cannot buy white eggs anymore, they are all brown now and painting those is no fun.

Thanks
Greetings

04-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for comments. FYI: most of these eggs have been blown - my job. For about 20 eggs I've inserted a small piece of toothpick, tied & glued to a loop of sewing thread, through one of the holes. The the toothpick turns sidewise so it doesn't come, and the eggs can be suspended using the thread loop. We string them on a small diameter curtain rod along the top of a big window in the dining room. None of these eggs is in the picture.

AN ALTERNATIVE TO BLOWING EGGS: Simply color them "raw" - no boiling, no blowing. After Easter, store them in an egg carton in a relative warm/hot place (we store them in the attic). So long as you're careful not to break them for about a year, the interior simply dehydrates, no odor, after which they will last and be reusable so long as they aren't dropped and broken. After dehydration there's no odor even if they do break because the contents are as dry as last year's road kill in Death Valley.
04-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A very colorful pic Walt that stirs many pleasant memories.--charliezap