Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Garden of the Gods - A Stormy Day
Lens: Super Takumar 28mm F3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm F1.8, Tele-Takumar 200mm F5.6 Preset Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Garden of the Gods ISO: 100 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM

I visited the Garden of the Gods today for some hiking and photography. It was a windy, cold, stormy day, but I think I got a few keepers . I was going to stay until sunset, but it started snowing pretty hard, so I left before then.

If any of you have a chance to visit Garden of the Gods, I REALLY recommend you do, AND BRING A CAMERA . It is a great area for photography and there are many great trails in the area. Even when the weather turns for the worst, there are still great things to photograph.

All landscapes were taken with either the SMC Takumar 55mm F1.8 or the Super Takumar 28mm F3.5. The deer photos were taken with my Tele-Takumar 200mm F5.6 Preset. I also used a tripod for the first time with these photos. I've heard that using a tripod for landscapes is the way to go, and after today, I think they are right. For those interested, it is a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT. My new (to me) K20D had the honors of shooting for today as it was snowing/raining and I didn't want to use my Kx. I'm REALLY starting to like the K20D.

Well enough talk, here are the photos.

Views: 1,335
04-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are superb - those Taks really shine in these settings. Nice work!
04-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CJ, we have visited there many times and shared photos here, but I really like the different perspectives you have presented by taking the hike and shooting down in several. Mine are always from the easy turnouts, looking up. All great shots, I really enjoyed the view here. Bob
04-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It is magnificent place we live, this Big Blue marble called Earth. While in the Navy, I lived in Japan and Spain and sailed around the globe, many ports of call, and saw many wonders and beautiful sights. Every country has some special sights and here in the US, we have not been shorted on special sights. I hope to see many more before I check out. Thanks for posting these and all your previous postings...Cliff

04-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Truly spectacular. Another place just got put on my "bucket list"
04-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I swear these look a lot better on this forum than the other one and i loved them there but wanted to see them again. Beautiful.
04-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Super!
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Lovely photos. Beautiful place - I used to live in Manitou Springs so I went often. The deer photos are great - nice bonus for the day! Keep the photos coming.

04-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic, Pickles.
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great series....Thanks!
04-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
These are superb - those Taks really shine in these settings. Nice work!
Thanks. Yeah, I REALLY like the Taks. I shoot exclusively with them now, and the odd Tair 3. I haven't shot with a zoom lens or a "Modern" lens for a good 6 months.
04-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
CJ, we have visited there many times and shared photos here, but I really like the different perspectives you have presented by taking the hike and shooting down in several. Mine are always from the easy turnouts, looking up. All great shots, I really enjoyed the view here. Bob
Thanks Bob. It is a great park with many miles of great trails (if you like that sort of thing). The light was extremely flat with only very occasional holes in the cloud layer lasting for a few seconds, so it wasn't too easy to get decent photos.
04-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
It is magnificent place we live, this Big Blue marble called Earth. While in the Navy, I lived in Japan and Spain and sailed around the globe, many ports of call, and saw many wonders and beautiful sights. Every country has some special sights and here in the US, we have not been shorted on special sights. I hope to see many more before I check out. Thanks for posting these and all your previous postings...Cliff
Yes it is. Colorado is filled with areas like GotG. I could spend years just traveling around and photographing areas in my state alone, not to mention all the other 49 states.
04-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Truly spectacular. Another place just got put on my "bucket list"
If you are ever in the area, it is definitely should be on the "must visit" list.
04-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I swear these look a lot better on this forum than the other one and i loved them there but wanted to see them again. Beautiful.
Thanks. Yeah, for some reason, the photos don't display full size over there. That messes with the sharpness and detail you are able to see with the full size images.