Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Viewing Death Valley from Above
Posted By: Bob Harris, 04-15-2012, 11:32 PM

This is a photo taken from Dante's View, 5500'. looking down at the salt flats and the Bad Water area of Death Valley, elevation minus 282 feet. The area has received snow and rain the last couple of days.

Attached Images

Views: 3,628
04-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another one of our favorite parks Bob. Tickled me to see the first one as I have a picture from the very same spot. My colors don't pop as much as your do though. Very nice indeed.

04-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #17

Another great set of photos Bob. I need to retire someday and snowbird it down there. As we just had another spring snowstorm this weekend ....Bas
04-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have never seen Death Valley depicted like that. It looks very inhospitable. Thank you for sharing those views. Not surprised they gave it that name.
Ray, great place to visit during the season, which is anytime temps are not in the 120 f or higher range. I read there was a period of time where DV only received .7 inches of rain over a 3 1/2 year time period.
04-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Bob, what a harsh yet beautiful looking place. Thanks for sharing this.
You're right Bruce, DV does have a natural beauty of its own, we enjoy visiting there, always see something new

04-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
awesome shot of a dramatic landscape, very well captured, ... wow!

cheers.
CC, on clear days you can see Mount Whitney that is 14,500' from Badwater at -282 feet. You can see the peak in the background, photo taken from a higher elevation than at Badwater.
Attached Images

04-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Oh yes, DV is a harsh, beautiful place. One of those places where you best respect Mother Nature, or she will kick your ass up one side and down the other...

Great shots, especially the first!

Jim
Jim, no wild flowers blooming at this time in DV, they apparently didn't get enough rain over the seasons, maybe next year. Bob
04-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Another one of our favorite parks Bob. Tickled me to see the first one as I have a picture from the very same spot. My colors don't pop as much as your do though. Very nice indeed.
"and I stood in her footprints". Thank you Susan, beautiful viewpoint isn't it, glad you liked the photo. Bob

04-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Bob, this is one area I jhave never shot in biut next year three of us atre planning a two week trip and this is one area we want to cover. Love the first image. JIM
04-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Yes Ray, DV is very inhospitable and it will kill in a heartbeat. Every year they average 2-3 deaths of tourists who get lost and leave the vehicle. A few years back 2 people were killed in a flash flood that caught their vehicle and mother nature used it for a toy. Never heard if they drowned or sustained trauma injuries as their vehicle was tossed around by the raging floodwater. There is beauty in DV, you just have be able to see and appreciate it, ie the SAND DUNES AND THE WILD FLOWERS in bloom and the beautiful sunsets. Cheers .. Cliff
Thanks for the extra info, Cliff. I don't doubt one word of it.
04-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

What an incredible view, Bob! That is an impressive landscape. Thank you for sharing!
04-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

That first shot is excellent Bob.It looks like it was shot from an airplane.--charliezap
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Bob, this is one area I jhave never shot in biut next year three of us atre planning a two week trip and this is one area we want to cover. Love the first image. JIM
Jim, if we are in the area, maybe we will bump into you somewhere on the trail. thanks for looking. Bob
04-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
What an incredible view, Bob! That is an impressive landscape. Thank you for sharing!
Lori, can you imagine what the Pioneers who traveled from the East coming into Death Valley headed west, must of thought entering this area. thanks for looking, Bob
04-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
That first shot is excellent Bob.It looks like it was shot from an airplane.--charliezap
It does have that feeling to it Charlie, the terrain looks so smooth from up top, but it is pretty rough on the flats.
04-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Lori, can you imagine what the Pioneers who traveled from the East coming into Death Valley headed west, must of thought entering this area. thanks for looking, Bob
What a wonderful thought to ponder, Bob. I can't imagine how they felt as they crossed this country and saw the amazing sights. Must have been some trip!