Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Why I Jumped from K-5 + Limiteds to a Fuji X100
Lens: Fujinon 23mm f2 Camera: Fujifilm X100 
Posted By: jaieger, 04-16-2012, 11:09 PM

This past year or, more specifically, past 8 months or so have been pretty significant to me. It was my first year at uni, and that was a major adjustment. And to my photography, this was hugely detrimental. I made a bit of a tradition, a ritual, to upload and set aside my favorite photos I'd taken that month into a particular set on my Flickr (and accompanying album on Facebook). As school went on, the amount of photos I was taking - and thus, was uploaded to this album - was dwindling. I just didn't have any time at all to dedicate to photography anymore, especially working a part-time job as well. And, looking back at some of my favorites that I'd taken to date, the material I came up with was pretty lacklustre in comparison. To me, my K-5 and 43mm (in second semester that became a 31mm) just wasn't worth bringing to school anymore, especially with 3-4 notebooks and my Macbook Air in tow. It was too chunky for me, and taking it out of my (already large) school bag wasn't worth the trouble half the time. More than once, I saw a shot that could have potential, and walked by because I was tired and didn't want to dig my camera out. And with a bagfull of school crap, I didn't want another kilo weighing me down by carrying it outside and on my neck constantly.

When the X-Pro1 was announced, I paid attention. Over the upcoming weeks, not a single link from google related to that camera was left unclicked. However, as time went on, I realized what I really wanted was a lens that wasn't quite what was out yet for that system. I found my FA 31 to be great except a lot of times, I wished it were a little wider. More and more, I began to think that a 35mm lens (FF equivalent) was the lens for me. And the lack of any special close-focussing ability was, at times, annoying. So the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the X100, the camera that I shrugged at when the K-5 was released, was the camera for me. Well, long story short, I bought it. The same day I bought it, I happened to have a dance show to shoot, and I decided why the hell not, let's bring the X100 along. So K-5 + my 3 limiteds and X100 shot the show... Out of around 300 shots from the Fuji and 600 from my Pentax system, the breakdown in the end was about 50 Fuji shots and 30 Pentax shots that I kept. Here're a few...

As I reviewed my images, the Pentax shots looked meh to me, half the time - a feeling that'd been growing for a while. Maybe it was just my copy, but no matter what adjustment I keyed in, my K-5 seemed to front focus ever so slightly in low light, and this show wasn't an exception. I quickly grew tired of seeing that tell-tale green fringing in Lightroom. With the X100, on the other hand, the contrast-detect AF worked beautifully. Especially with the V1.20 firmware, I definitely didn't experience slow AF from the X100, as early adopters did. For me, it was as responsive as I'd expect from a decent CDAF camera (though, admittedly, the new olympuses (olympi?) that I'd tried out are much faster). And the beauty of it was that contrast detect, unless it picks the wrong subject, never misses. It's deadly accurate, and not once did I discard a shot due to it being out of focus. That was bloody remarkable to me. Also, while shooting, the hybrid viewfinder worked amazingly. It's hard to explain why, but the ability to see outside your frame and compose your shots without having to be hampered by shallow DoF (something I thought would be more beneficial, initially), and see your frame at the time of shutter release was remarkable to me. Not once did I put the X100 on continuous burst mode, and not once did I feel the need to. Every shot I took with it, I took at the exact moment I wanted to. Of course, due to my not being used to its VF, I also included/excluded subjects from the frame and got unlevel shots more often than I would've on my K-5, but that's more user error than anything.

And reviewing the images on my laptop and while editing, the image quality didn't disappoint. I know what DxOmark gave this sensor, but to me, it's about on-par with the K-5. Qualitatively speaking, it seems to be more detailed than my K-5 shots at high ISO, while also grainier. Give and take. As far as DR goes, the K-5's got it beat, but not by a huge margin. And the little Fujinon 23/2 lens...Spectacular. While it's a little harder to get bokehlicious shots with it, more due to its widerish field of view than anything, I have to say - if a lens of its calibre were available in interchangeable form, it'd easily be equivalent to the FA Limiteds series. Its build quality isn't quite as tight/cold/solid as I'm used to, but its image quality is definitely right up there. It's more FA31 than FA43 - smooth, reliable performance, sharp corner to corner whenever, regardless of aperture, if not always having that 3D wide-open bite.

Colours and contrast on this thing are phenomenal. I feel that, out of camera, it's better than the K-5, D7000, and 60D (the latter two being cameras I fool around with while at work (I'm a sales associate at a consumer electronics store). It always has a great pop to it that I just can't get enough of. Skin tones are excellent - my girlfriend is significantly less reluctant to let me take shots of her with this camera than she ever was with my K-5. The way this camera renders colours and tones and hues is just something I haven't seen or experienced before. It's really pretty remarkable. That's not to say the K-5 is bad, just that the X100 is extra great.

(yes I do realize the irony of posting a B&W portrait after banging on and on about colours and skin tones. But I like this shot and I process the crap out of whatever I shoot anyways, so, egh.)

And finally, size and weight. This thing is tiny compared to the K-5, which in turn is minuscule next to the goliath D7000s, 60Ds, 7Ds, etc. Its lens is about the size of a FA43, +/- 0.5cm probably. And it weighs just a bit more than half a K-5 with no lens attached. I don't feel it at all in my school bag, and I can pull it out any time. Just having a camera on me, being able to take it anywhere, is just awesome for me. It lets me grab shots that were previously impossible - because I didn't have a camera on me. As the saying goes, the best camera's the one you've got on you.

Shot on campus, around sunset. I've passed by these windows a million times wishing I had my K-5 on me, and never did.

I think these last few show off the contrasty pop this camera has pretty well.

Anyways, that more or less wraps up my ramble. As of a few days ago, the last of my Pentax gear has been craigslisted and sold - which, for a full-time student, is also a huge financial aid. The benefit of that was definitely a factor in this switch, too. The only things I've got left are my Takumars, in case I ever wanna fool around with film (or, maybe, a FF camera down the road). I hope I don't offend anyone with my comments regarding the K-5/Pentax throughout my post. I wrote this all more or less on the fly, didn't really plan it out. So some statements may be exaggerated a bit, all are just my qualitative, non-conclusive opinions, etcetc. There are some shots I've gotten on my Pentax system that just blow my mind.

And I still think, for a photographer who enjoys using prime lenses, there's nothing like Pentax. I've been toying with the idea of saving up money and getting a FF Canon or Nikon system, but it's pretty tough to find something equivalent to a K-5 + DA 15 + FA 31 + FA 77 without dropping $7k+. Which isn't very realistic for me. But my next major photographic purchase, if not an X200, might just be an investment into FF. And then have two systems from there - the Fuji Xwhateverhundred line, and then the FF camera + lenses. Maybe a 5D3, 35L, 50L, 85L. I could start doing some pro shooting with my (Canon) buddy on the side then, too, or have a "serious" camera to bring around when I go on photography-oriented road-trips. And then my X100 for casual settings. Who knows. But if I do go back into SLRs, it'll definitely be FF - I've been craving that super-shallow, 3D-riffic look for a while now.

But for now...X100, all the way. I can't wait to just take a day off from life, hit the road, and properly take this thing through its paces.

Last edited by jaieger; 04-16-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Views: 3,378
04-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad to know that you found what works for you, in the end that's all that matters.
04-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating reading, thanks! Gear shouldn't be made to a cult - it is merely a tool for your artistic expression or favorite past time. Enjoy your new kit and most importantly - keep shooting and enjoying both the process and the outcome.
04-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shoot the gear you like. I certainly wouldn't go full frame if I were you, though. It sounds like less depth of field is not what you are looking for and that is one of the major draws of full frame.

Sorry to hear that the K5 didn't work out for you, but there is no perfect camera/gear set up for everyone.

04-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am very sorry to says this but there seems to be a huge problem with this camera:

on the last picture, I see reversed letters - see at the lower right border !

No, seriously, this is a very, very good post and very timely as I am still "searching" for a more compact companion to my K5.
The Fuji(s) seem(s) to be the obvious choice for many and you images show what Fuji is capable of.
In my case, it is not a matter of trading my K5 for a Fuji; rather, a "easy-to-carry" quality "K5 buddy"

Cheers.

JP
04-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #6

After picking up the X100 today... I had to admit it was a very fun camera to play with... more so than the P3 I got for my girlfriend yesterday...

Straight off the bat, I found that using it in low light was pretty easy, where as using the K5 may take some fine tuning (also due to me still new to the K5)

I can see this as the compact companion for me... (until the Olympus 17mm arrive for the EP3... for my GF of course )
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Glad to know that you found what works for you, in the end that's all that matters.
Thanks for comment. Indeed it is. : )

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Fascinating reading, thanks! Gear shouldn't be made to a cult - it is merely a tool for your artistic expression or favorite past time. Enjoy your new kit and most importantly - keep shooting and enjoying both the process and the outcome.
Thanks Boris! I agree, it makes me cringe when people get so defensive about the gear they use. At the end of the day, the photos that come out from one camera/lens or another won't vary by any noticeable amount, within a reasonable range.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Shoot the gear you like. I certainly wouldn't go full frame if I were you, though. It sounds like less depth of field is not what you are looking for and that is one of the major draws of full frame.

Sorry to hear that the K5 didn't work out for you, but there is no perfect camera/gear set up for everyone.
Thanks for the comment Rondec! : )

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am very sorry to says this but there seems to be a huge problem with this camera:

on the last picture, I see reversed letters - see at the lower right border !

No, seriously, this is a very, very good post and very timely as I am still "searching" for a more compact companion to my K5.
The Fuji(s) seem(s) to be the obvious choice for many and you images show what Fuji is capable of.
In my case, it is not a matter of trading my K5 for a Fuji; rather, a "easy-to-carry" quality "K5 buddy"

Cheers.

JP
Thanks for the comment JP. I agree with your last statement - I wish I could have kept my K-5 and shot with both, but as a student I just don't have the $$ for that. If you do, then power to you - they'd complement each other nicely, especially with the lack of a fast (modern) 35mm equivalent in Pentax. Alternatively, have you looked at picking up a M4/3 camera up? They were pretty appealing too, but at the end of the day I think I want to lean towards shallower, not deeper, DoF (personally).

QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
After picking up the X100 today... I had to admit it was a very fun camera to play with... more so than the P3 I got for my girlfriend yesterday...

Straight off the bat, I found that using it in low light was pretty easy, where as using the K5 may take some fine tuning (also due to me still new to the K5)

I can see this as the compact companion for me... (until the Olympus 17mm arrive for the EP3... for my GF of course )
Thanks for commenting, nice to hear someone else has the same experiences as me! I hear great things about the Olympus, hope you enjoy it!

04-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Those photos are excellent, everything is so 3D-licious. I love the last one.

We can talk about specs all day, but in the end it's about how good the camera feels in hand and how beautiful are the results, no? In that regard the X100 looks like a great camera indeed. I hope Pentax get their act together and release a camera that makes sense like Fuji did.
04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember when I was first married and soon a baby came, so I sold my 66 Corvette 427 cid convertible and purchased a Volkswagen. I kept telling myself how happy I was.

Last edited by Bob Harris; 04-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.
04-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Mostly, I am happy that you are happy.....I am a fan of Fuji, I can almost convince myself that my little X10 is better than my K5...until reality kicks in! What it is, is more fun...it is just very fun to use and very solid and sturdy in my hands, with little complication in using.

However, and I am not questioning your feelings, they are certainly valid and no doubt real...for you...I could write an almost identical story of how thrilled I am with my K5 compared to __________ fill in the blank. If you love your gear, whatever it is will feel like the best, and the results will be superior...at least you will think they are. This is not a bad thing, it is what we all search for. If you have found yours, congratulations! Too many are like me, never fully satisfied....but I will say my K5 started out as my Dream Camera......and to date...it still is!

Best Regards & Happy Shooting.....enjoyed your shots too!
04-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Does that mean we will be seeing the K5 and the lenses in the Equipment For Sale Soon????
04-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Great post, interesting reading.
04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Those photos are excellent, everything is so 3D-licious. I love the last one.

We can talk about specs all day, but in the end it's about how good the camera feels in hand and how beautiful are the results, no? In that regard the X100 looks like a great camera indeed. I hope Pentax get their act together and release a camera that makes sense like Fuji did.
Thank you for the comment! I agree, that's absolutely what it boils down to for me. I can talk about my future plans for buying a new camera months or years down the road, but for now, just picking up the X100 and shooting with it dispels any of those thoughts. I do hope that too - I absolutely loved the FA limited lenses I had, and hope to use them again natively, on a Pentax body, sometime again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I remember when I was first married and soon a baby came, so I sold my 66 Corvette 427 cid convertible and purchased a Volkswagen. I kept telling myself how happy I was.
Fair enough ;D

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mostly, I am happy that you are happy.....I am a fan of Fuji, I can almost convince myself that my little X10 is better than my K5...until reality kicks in! What it is, is more fun...it is just very fun to use and very solid and sturdy in my hands, with little complication in using.

However, and I am not questioning your feelings, they are certainly valid and no doubt real...for you...I could write an almost identical story of how thrilled I am with my K5 compared to __________ fill in the blank. If you love your gear, whatever it is will feel like the best, and the results will be superior...at least you will think they are. This is not a bad thing, it is what we all search for. If you have found yours, congratulations! Too many are like me, never fully satisfied....but I will say my K5 started out as my Dream Camera......and to date...it still is!

Best Regards & Happy Shooting.....enjoyed your shots too!
That sounds great Rupert, it's pretty clear that through your posts here you're pretty thrilled with the K-5. Though with different cameras, I'm glad we've found equipment that we just find to be a pleasure to use

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Does that mean we will be seeing the K5 and the lenses in the Equipment For Sale Soon????
Haha, I've sold it already on my local craigslist

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Great post, interesting reading.
Thank you!
04-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As someone who used to shoot with the K-5, and now primarily using the X100 or X-Pro1, I can empathize with a lot of what the OP has said. Even though the K-5 is small by dSLR standards, it's still just that too big and heavy to be a camera that you can comfortably take everywhere with you. And the files from the X100, and X-Pro1, the jpegs just look so good straight out of the camera. I have yet to shoot RAW with either camera (notwithstanding the fact that LR doesn't yet support X-Pro1 RAWs) and really have no intention or need to, because the Fujifilm jpegs are already so damn nice.

Unlike the OP though, I have no plans in the near future to sell of my two K-5s. I think that dSLRs still have their place, and there's still no way I'd shoot an event gig, or any other paid work, without the K-5s as my primary camera. But for personal fun and enjoyment, the Fujifilm's are plenty good.