Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Eagles in flight
Posted By: Mr Hyde, 01-13-2008, 01:44 PM

I met another Pentax Forum member at Conowingo Dam, Maryland this past Saturday. We were attempting to get a few good shots of some American Bald Eagles in flight. There were plenty of eagles. Most were a bit out of reach. If nothing else I have learned that I need alot of practice shooting birds in flight. I was using my Bigma lens. Here are a few of the better ones although they are still not all that great. I also tossed in a buzzard shot. They were way more cooperative since they were stationary.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-18-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Views: 1,525
01-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For correctness sake with no offence to my American neighbours it is simply, the Bald Eagle.

As for the shots I like the first shot of this beautiful and magnificent bird in-flight. Makes me want to be up there with it.
01-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
JC!

What about the black vulture?

Mr. Hyde: I agree with the good Mr. Sullivan. The first shot has that special feel about it. I also like the vulture photo. Do they stay in your area all winter?
01-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice captures especially the first showing the wings outstretched. The last image of the vulture is great.

Paul

01-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Mr hyde,
Thats my neck of the woods I live about 5 mi. downstream. I wound up there today on my motorcycle and only had a 135mm and tc in my bag as I was doing some infrared stuff There were quite a few eagles in the trees by the parking area. Later I tried to park up on top and hike through the woods to get to where the light was good but they didn't let me get close enough. Might head up there saturday if I don't have to work. Here's a pic of the tailrace showing the fish ladder - I think they are all vultures on the top.
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #6

Hi Scott!

Great panning and exposures! Nice work!

@Tom:

The Black Vultures are definately in NJ at least this far into the winter... The office building I work in is next to a building with reflective surfaces... ~1 week ago I was walking around that building and found myself about 6 feet away from a row of 4 Black Vultures like this one, except they were sunning themselves while staring into their own beady little eyes wings spread wide... They looked like they could have been lined up at a beauty salon, but it wasn't working... All four were fully extended trying to pick up the heat off the building. Cool, but almost too close for comfort!

-Chris

Last edited by hinckc; 01-13-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: phrasing
01-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

#1 is also my favorite.
Both photos could, IMHO, do with a little more black point as they look slightly washed.

Am thinking seriously about the Bigma.
Please tell me about the handling, control, and your feel for the overall lens.

Were you using a tripod with ball or gimbal mount when you shot the eagles or were they handheld?
Thanks,
Clarence

01-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JCSullivan, Since these Bald Eagles were in Maryland, I'm saying that they are American. That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL

Tom, Thanks for the correction on the Vulture. I have never been to the Conowingo Dam before but I've read that December through march are the best months to photograph the eagles. I'm assuming that the vultrues are probably there during the same time. There were literally hundreds of vultrues there. They were everywhere.

Paul. Thanks for the kind words.

Borno, I'll shoot you a PM next time I take a trip down there. It was a great day. There were loads of people there with some super long lenses. It was quite a sight in itself. I'm a bit further away than you are. My ride was about an hour and 15 mins. it was well worth the trip.

hinckc, Thanks. I need alot of practice with the panning shots. most of my shots were far from keepers. The few good ones that I got made it all worthwhile.
01-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
two more

here are a few more from Saturday. As you can see the place is crawling with vultures.

The eagle shot was a bit dark. I think I may have over processed it a bit. tell me what you think.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-18-2008 at 09:38 PM.
01-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
#1 is also my favorite.
Both photos could, IMHO, do with a little more black point as they look slightly washed.

Am thinking seriously about the Bigma.
Please tell me about the handling, control, and your feel for the overall lens.

Were you using a tripod with ball or gimbal mount when you shot the eagles or were they handheld?
Thanks,
Clarence
Clarance, thanks for the suggestion.

My tripod has a pistol grip ball head. Some of the shots were on the tripod and some were handheld. Of the photos I have posted so far, I know that both of the vulture shots were on the tripod. The two eagle shots in the first post were both hand held. the third eagle shot I really just dont remember. Maybe it was just my inexperience but I found it much easier panning with the lens handheld.

I really like the Bigma lens. My friend was there with a F* 600mm. The Bigma seemed light as a feather in comparison.
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pictures, the Eagles here are kicking my butt:-(.
01-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #12

I think the last is my favorite eagle of the series. It looks neither underexposed or over processed, to me.

Great one!

-Chris
01-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
I think the last is my favorite eagle of the series. It looks neither underexposed or over processed, to me.

Great one!

-Chris
Thanks Chris. The original photo was pretty dark and I used the "levels" in Paint Shop Pro to lighten the image. After I did a bit of noise reduction and sharpening it just looked a little "too good" and I thought I had pushed it a bit far. Thanks for the kind words.