Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Keep Your Eye on the Target!
Lens: Kiron 105 Macro Camera: K10D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Rupert, 04-20-2012, 06:34 AM

I shot this several years back.....we used to have a lot of toads around here, now there are none. You think the long heatwave of last year, with almost no rain, killed them all off? We went the entire Summer without a single bug around here, not even a filthy mosquito. You could go out anytime and never see or hear a buzzing bug of any kind. Maybe my toads all starved to death? Just wondering?

Regards!

Name:  toad.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  662.9 KB

Views: 950
04-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a great shot, Rupert - a classic, my friend. Even here on the coast we were generally free of mosquitos during the drought. Not so now - the@#!@*(& are back with a vengeance - we had 6 inches of rain earlier in the week, so I think they'll keep coming.

Terrific photo.

Jer
04-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Den
Veteran Member

Ready, set, flick that tongue!
04-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love this shot Rupert, these guys are so nice to have around, I think you're right about the excessive heat, too bad, would like to see more photos. Bob

04-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shot!

The disappearance of toads might have some larger cause, or at least national scale irritant. When I was a kid growing up in LA in the 1960's, they were everywhere. After a rain, you could see squashed toads on just about every neighborhood street. I have not seen a toad (or a frog) here in what, maybe 30 years? We also had lots of meadowlarks, horned toads, even great horned owls, but I haven't seen any of those in decades either.
04-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shot Rupert I'll bet the weather had a lot to do with it. Waiting for the toad population to show itself here.
04-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, I am afraid things are disappearing. There were once gazillions of horned toads around here.....40-50 years ago, now they are almost extinct. Toads are now becoming scarce, and so are many other animals, in particular small reptiles and amphibians.

The only thing that seems to multiply, along with rats and roaches, is Squirrels....they are everywhere.....except China, where I hear they were excellent stir fried while they lasted?

Regards!

Thanks for looking guys!