Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Johnny Dollar Detective Agency
Posted By: spyglass, 01-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Johnny Dollar had collected the evidence from the crime scene and placed it on his desk top.

His mind wandered back to the gruesome crime scene. He could clearly picture the body, the knife lodged into the chest cavity. Something was calling out to him. The time the watch had been stopped, the bottle in the hand. Perhaps he would have to pay a visit to the good doctor.

Remember the old radio programs......
Views: 1,749
01-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
...Remember the old radio programs......
Ah, no and I'm older than dirt! But I also suffer from CRS; 'Can't Remember Sh!t'!

You have an imaginative mind. Keep 'me coming!

(I find it alarming that you have a skeleton in your living room.)
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A clue?

01-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like it!
Where did you get that great collection of memories?
Well put together and fun.
Clarence

01-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope everyone got a laugh. My wife has talked about have a murder mystery night (you know the kind of night where you invite a few couples over, feed them, and torture them with a painful game - ha ha). I thought I would put together an email invitation to our friends. It seemed like a good idea to bounce it off the wonderful group here first.

J. Scott, the golden age of radio preceeds me but there are still a few radio stations that play some of the old shows. I remember coming home from a long drive as a kid and our family would sit in the car, in the driveway, just to hear the end of the story. I fell in love with all those old programs so I found a guy on the net that sells them and bought everything he had (all in MP3 format). I believe his site is called Fibber's Closet of Old Time Radio - I think I must just about have it all, westerns, crime, suspence, mystery, etc). The skelton, hey, every guy wants his own skeleton. It generally hangs out down in my music studio (for some reason the wife doesn't think it matches the fabric in the living room - ha ha)

Tom Lusk - Well done, another clue. I love it!

Clarenceclose - My house was build in 1913, so for some crazy reason I took on the mission to fill it with old dusty items. I like the style and effort that people use to put into the things they did. (clawfoot tubs, windup gramaphones, antique furnature, etc.) I guess it forms a nice balance to my everyday tech world.

Thanks for looking,
01-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like an exert from "Night Beat with Randy Stone (on the radio here about 50 years ago).
I dont know if that was broadcast on your side of the world.?
Oh just to add, great set of photos, well put together. Original to say the least.
01-14-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The old radio programs? They're my primary source of entertainment. I have somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand episodes running from the very early 1930s right on up through the end. I'm running through them on pretty much a real-time basis. Since I am currently in January 1949, it will be a few years before I even get to Johnny Dollar, which in my world has yet to come on the air.

And Fibber & Molly ain't over until Molly says, "Goodnight, all". Bless her heart, what I wouldn't give to have a wife like her.

01-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
LED

It seems the victim was a drunk sheriff. An he was high at that time. His mother was from Quebec, she left him alone in this world only with a wood band and a broken watch.
01-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Obviously I am missing out some great classic entertainment.

I'll search a few torrent sites to see what I can come up with.

30,000 Mike! WOW!
01-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome:-).
01-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Obviously I am missing out some great classic entertainment.

I'll search a few torrent sites to see what I can come up with.

30,000 Mike! WOW!
Every 3 months I load up my mp3 player with another 3 months worth of programs. When I loaded up for Jan-Mar 1949 recently I think it was somewhere around 480 programs. But keep in mind I drive trucks and have to fill anywhere between 10 and 14 hours a day with some sort of entertainment. Lots of series from wayback are almost complete, others didn't survive so well.

I have been known to exchange DVD-Rs loaded up with stuff for various goodies of modest value.
01-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Mike,

Anything anyone can do to keep the old treasure alive is worth the effort. It sounds like you have a great collection. When I contacted Fibbercloset I selected his whole list and said how much. He emailed me back and said that nobody had ever asked him that before. I bought everything he had for $200. They were well organized, MP3 format, on CD disc. The only thing I miss is the old Ads. "you're always right with Autolight", etc. they were cut out. The quality on some are a bit weathered (but that adds to the whole experience, you don't want Rex Reed coming off cheap and processed, ya want to keep him a bit green - ha ha) I even refer to my black Kawasaki ZX1100 as the Black Beauty (after the Green Hornets famous car).

Hopefully others have had their interest peeked and will seek out the wonderful programs.

Thanks Mike and happy miles.

P.S. sounds like Mike is the source for any would be takers!
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have been known to exchange DVD-Rs loaded up with stuff for various goodies of modest value.
We talking chocolate chip cookies here or something else more eclectic?
As Joan Rivers used to say "Can we talk?"
01-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
We talking chocolate chip cookies here or something else more eclectic?
As Joan Rivers used to say "Can we talk?"
I would prefer Nicaraguan cigars, but I'm open to other stuff. My kids would enjoy the cookies, so that's certainly a possibility. It's not about the $$$ so much as it is the fun of an equitable trade of something each side would derive some enjoyment from.