Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
From a FLA wildlife sanctuary
Lens: Pentax 55-300 Camera: K5 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 04-23-2012, 06:47 AM

While in Florida we visited a sanctuary that takes in exotics from little roadside zoos, private citizens, and some local wildlife found injured. They are licensed and all the animals are very well kept. Access is strictly by tour, no wandering on your own, and no tripods or monopods allowed. Here are some of the better shots, some of which are X-posted on another thread (alphabet race).

1. emerald (or green) tree boa
2. gopher tortoise - endangered in Florida (too many cars)
3. African conure (aka grey parrot)
4. puma (aka cougar, mountain lion, catamount, etc.)
5 & 6 two tigers. The snarly one is an adult male in a cage with two young females who keep flirting with him, and he doesn't like it!. Go figure. I never had his problem.

Later I'll put in a post v-a-v some of the photo problems encountered.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-31-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Views: 809
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
enjoyable to series to view, what a shot of the boa you got. Love the tigers, but the mountain lion is my favorite, what eyes they have. TFS, Bob
04-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
enjoyable to series to view, what a shot of the boa you got. Love the tigers, but the mountain lion is my favorite, what eyes they have. TFS, Bob
I also like pumas among the big cats, second only, perhaps, to the clouded leopard. Puma's don't have the massive skull of a lion or tiger, so the face is a bit more "dainty." They're supposed to be the largest cats that purr, but I've never heard one do so. It's a sure thing that the glaring puma here was not purring. Wish I could have used a smaller stop to get the boa's nose in focus as well as his eyes. Tried a small stop (f11) with flash, but the result was way too flat, no texture on the scales, which is what makes part of this image.
04-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Poor old turtle and bird don't look too happy in the middle of all the bitey creatures. The tiger ones are good.

Regards

04-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Poor old turtle and bird don't look too happy in the middle of all the bitey creatures. The tiger ones are good.

Regards
Agreed, although they are located well away from the kitties. The tortoise suffered some injury on the road. The parrot, as I remember, was from a private home and has a nasty personality - he bites!
04-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are three unprocessed original images. The chain link fence behind the big cats was bad enough, but shooting through that fence was hopeless. The cage in front of the conure was in deep shade, so it wasn't too visible, but that sunlit galvanized fence between lens and tigers left its nasty imprint on every picture. Consequently the heavy PP.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-31-2012 at 10:10 AM.
04-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good images given the conditions. An early teacher of mine (pre-digital Pentax user), said a photographer should carry bolt-cutters, a chainsaw and an angle-grinder in his kit to clear up visual pollution like this. Probably not a great idea around big cats though.

04-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Good images given the conditions. An early teacher of mine (pre-digital Pentax user), said a photographer should carry bolt-cutters, a chainsaw and an angle-grinder in his kit to clear up visual pollution like this. Probably not a great idea around big cats though.
As a pre-digital, pre-built-in-meter, pre-automatic-diaphragm Pentax user, I know just what that teacher meant. What all of us wanted, but the manufacturers couldn't seem to supply, was a telephone pole/wire filter that would remove those destroyers of decent scenics. Now we have it! I still have not mastered Topaz remask. The smooth body of the parrot turns out well, but the fuzzy edges of the cats instantly reveal my clumsy PP.